Christmas present suggestions?

Page 3 of 4
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 22:44:28 -0500, S Viemeister

You are still welcome to attend.
PoP
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 22:44:28 -0500, S Viemeister

Perhaps we could organise one in Bergen for you, Sheila, since that's probably nearer than London. Nice place as well.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

transmitter is down, Norwegian televison. It's an easier drive to London, though (all that water.....).
Sheila
"S Viemeister" wrote | Andy Hall wrote: | > Perhaps we could organise one in Bergen for you, Sheila, since | > that's probably nearer than London. Nice place as well. | I pick up radio broadcasts from Norway. And sometimes, when the | local transmitter is down, Norwegian televison. | It's an easier drive to London, though (all that water.....).
Reminds me of a tale of a serviceman in WW2 filling in a form requesting home leave and a travel warrant.
The form asked for 'nearest railway station to destination' and after some consideration he wrote down 'Oslo'.
Owain
Owain wrote:

My closest station(s) are Thurso and Lairg.
Sheila

I'd say if you've got the room for one, a pillar drill is extremely useful, and 100 quid will buy a decent DIY one. The next size up from the 40ish quid jobbies is probably the one to go for as a decent compromise.
Another thing I couldn't do without is a good DVM. Having had cheap ones, I'm delighted with my Fluke, but that's a bit outside the budget.
--
*Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot at them?

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got a reasonable digital multimeter which I bought in Tandys about 15 years ago when they were on special offer - and that does all I need on that front.
A pillar drill could be a good idea though. [I've got a vertical stand for my electric drill - but that's not as good as a proper pillar drill]. I've looked at the cheap pillar drills in the sheds and have never been impressed with the precision. Any recommendations on make/model/supplier for getting a slightly better one?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

It's not. They've all got far more slop than even the worst of the cheap pillar drills. And, of course, the drill can't run as slow as an induction motor/pulley driven one.

I've had the very cheapest Nu-Tool one (40 quid) from when they first appeared, and had the keyway that the allen screw which takes up the play re-machined, and it's fine now for what I want. I'd assumed newer ones are very much better, but might need setting straight out of the box?
--
*Of course I'm against sin; I'm against anything that I'm too old to enjoy.

I have a Delta floor standing one and am pretty pleased with it.
If you're looking for a bench top model, they have models at circa 90 and 150.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

SDS drill. You can use it for many things - punching holes thru walls, knocking bricks out, installing rawlplugs in walls which otherwise are impervious to being drilled, installing extractor fan vents, digging channels for cabling, knocking out recesses for sockets and switches.
And possibly its best redeeming feature is taking tiles off walls!
PoP

Yes, I agree! Best thing since sliced bread Got one already though!
--
Cheers,
Set Square
: SDS drill. You can use it for many things - punching holes thru walls, : knocking bricks out, installing rawlplugs in walls which otherwise are : impervious to being drilled, installing extractor fan vents, digging : channels for cabling, knocking out recesses for sockets and switches. : : And possibly its best redeeming feature is taking tiles off walls! : : PoP
You sound like a dangerous person. PoP, SDS, armed and ready for adventure.
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 04:12:00 -0000, "Suz"

Nah. I try to be nice to people. But many stories on this newsgroup over recent months suggested that SDS drills are blooming great for taking tiles off of walls - and I'm happy to advise that they are!
PoP
PoP wrote:

standard chisel bit?
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

I bought the Homebase Excel SDS drill, which came with some standard bits - the chisel being one of them.
PoP
: I would welcome suggestions on any tool/device/gadget etc. which you : wouldn't be without. Guess we'd better put an upper price limit of 100. : : I suppose that it should be vaguely DIY-related, but could include hand or : power tools, electronic devices, computer peripheral or software, etc.
http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/ - "gadgets & gizmos, gift ideas & games for a cool lifestyle"

Sounds interesting. Unfortunately Freeserve's DNS servers are playing silly B's at the moment, so I can't resolve the URL. Anyone care to ping www.iwantoneofthose.com and post the resulting IP address?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

http://195.157.53.162 /