Christmas Eve

Wow, "May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits" doesn't even have the same ring to it nowadays ...

Reply to
Adrian C

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Virginia Tadrzynski" saying something like:

Grimly Curmudgeon

Exactly, the only explanation I can come up with why some folks feel every expression of religious belief by others must be totally suppressed is that their belief systems are very week. If you truly believe in nothing or whatever why would the belief of another be so threatening?

Reply to
George

Poppycock. Religions have a long history of oppression and forcing their beliefs on other people. Too many people have sat through the indoctrination to the point where they may or may not actually believe the mythology being foisted on them go along with it because of fear of persecution. We are lucky that some societies are more tolerant of other religions, but we have been through wars between religions and even between different denominations and sects within those religions.

It is belief, not fact. Feel free to believe whatever fairy tales you want, but don't expect the rest of us to believe what you believe, and don't go whining every time someone speaks out about your preaching or whining that our opposition to having to sit through public prayers because freedom of religion doesn't just mean that you are free to practice your religion. It means that the rest of us are free not to.

Reply to
Dave Smith

Nothing to do with being threatened, or suppression, many of us care less, just wrong place.

Just as talking about how to cook venison would be on a vegetarian ng (but at least that is real / practical).

Getit yet?

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I see a great chance for you to clear the air. If it is mythology as you claim why not spell out your clear proof?

You know this how? As I said lay out your proof using standard scientific reasoning methods and settle the matter for everyone. If you can't we will just have to agree that we don't know for sure.

My comment was for the folks who have decided that everyone who believes something different than them must be silent.

Reply to
George

You may want to talk to someone about all of that anger.

Reply to
George

George, this is a place about cooking and while it ranges far and wide to other things, it is NOT a religion debate. It definately isnt a place to challange others to provide your version of 'scientific proof' or anything else regards religion.

Reply to
cshenk

| .......... | It's not about rights, it's about blurting out rude and inflammatory | remarks in an innapropriate venue... | ... it's all about civility. | ..........

"Bipolar" doesn't begin to explain this psycho.

pavane

Reply to
pavane

Clear proof that religion is mythology? Which one? They all claim to be the true religion, and since so many of them are mutually exclusive it would be up to them to show the proof. It's folk lore handed down over the ages, making people recite the same crap over and over until they start to believe it. As I pointed out, they have rules to stifle dissent, so people either buy to or pretend to by it so they don't get burned at the stake in the more extreme situations.

As pointed out above..... which one is the one true religion. Let the wacko religious ones fight it out between themselves and decide who is right, and there are lots of examples. The more extreme ones these days are in the middle east.

Curiously, it is the most radical religious types are the people who think that people who believe different must be silent.

Reply to
Dave Smith

I am fed up with religious zealots wasting my time. This applies to idiots posting irrelevant rubbish to newsgroups as it does to people interrupting my day by calling at the door. Obviously their leaders encourage them to do so because it keeps them focussed and doesn't allow them so much time to consider other thoughts. Over the years people who cannot exist without an explanation of the world have worshipped the sun and numerous other entities. If they now want to have some belief based on a book of fairytales then sobeit. Just don't waste everyone else's time, money and bandwidth with it.

Reply to
Invisible Man

You may want to follow his suggestion and f*ck off.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I know that some people, god botherers predominant among them, don't understand the concept of proof, so I'll explain how it works to you.

Those who claim that something exists are obliged to prove that it exists. They are not free to claim that something exists then to demand that others prove that it does not exist. If we subscribed to the idea that anyone can claim anything at all, no matter how ludicrous, and force others to disprove it then all religions would be equal and equal to nothing.

Get it?

Or has the indoctrination that you have suffered rotted your brain?

Reply to
Steve Firth

That assumes a brain was present in the first place. In this case it clearly wasn't.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

De gustibus non est disputandum?

Reply to
Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Or the celebration of the birth of Mithras, or me for that matter.

Reply to
Elder

Sounds like you missed my point. Unless someone can come forward and totally settle the matter no one is under any obligation to follow the command of others to be silent because it challenges their belief system. This includes any ideas above and beyond any religious aspect. Thats what free speech and expression of ideas is all about.

Reply to
George

The point that you are missing is that nobody gives a f*ck, nobody is interested in your point, it's not relevant to the NGs it's x-posted to

Piss off to somewhere where someone gives a toss

Hold your mass debate elsewhere

Reply to
geoff

I love discussions like this. On one hand 5% of all people are fervid atheists who deny any possibility that there is a God or any "higher power"..... and on the other hand, 5% of all people are fundamentalist Theists, knowing beyond doubt that their version of "God" is the only true God and that all things come from Him (or her).

The rest of us 90% people know that things aren't always black and white and for the most part we 1) keep watch on the 5 percenters on either end because that is where the true nuts are... and 2) enjoy watching the 5 percenters on either end argue their positions. Such fervor, such passion, such drama! It is all good entertainment.

George L

Reply to
George Leppla

Actually you just hit on what is offensive to a lot of people. Clearly you don't respect someone who has different beliefs than you.