Choosing white goods when everything looks the same

Some sort of mix up about not washing your hands after cutting the jalapenos.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

We have a Miele dryer, very solid bit of kit.

Reply to
gremlin_95

What would you have done if it a was a BOGOF offer?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Please stop trying to think. It will never work.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

You mean a chilli-willy?

Reply to
John Rumm

My AEG WM is of simi;ar age and has been faultless - it does do only about

40 washes a year, though.
Reply to
PeterC

He means do not buy frost free.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Sure, I'm sure they're good, but just because people would buy another / recommend one to someone else, doesn't necessarily mean that they would have behaved differently with a cheaper brand. IOW if a cheaper brand does the job, it's money that I would prefer to spend elsewhere.

Reply to
TD

That's what I was getting at ^^^.

Reply to
TD

SWMBO is embarrassed to admit that she really *loves* her Miele washing machine.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Yes, maybe, but they're also a *lot* more expensive.

Our whirlpool washing machine has been with us longer than that and is still going strong, I think I replaced the door seal a few years ago.

Reply to
tinnews

Mine too. I'm not convinced, but then I don't even know how to turn it on. The 10 year guarantee did it for me.

Reply to
stuart noble

In message , TD writes

I would only consider taking out extra warranties/insurance on washing machines and dish washers.

It is strange that whereas car manufacturers can now offer very long warranties most whitegoods manufacturers still only run to 12 months.

Well, not so strange really - none of the big retailers would stock their goods if they couldn't make a nice profit on selling insurance.

Reply to
hugh

Mike's SWMBO loves your washing machine too? Weird.

Reply to
Huge

Or possibly his SWMBO loves mine's washing machine. No less weird.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I had reason[*] to look inside the works of my 5yo Miele washing machine recently. Apart from a bit of dust in the bottom it looked in showroom condition. Run of the mill machines at half that age would be in the "recycling centre".

[*] To find out why it was interfering with my (weak signal) radio reception. I cured the problem by lining the underside of the worktop with ali foil. The mains filtering was adequate, just no screening of the innards in an upwards direction.
Reply to
<me9

I would still have my 25YO hotpoint in use if I hadn't left a drill in my boiler suit pocket. It got between the drums and punched holes in the inner drum. I haven't sussed out how to fix them yet.

it was one of the earlier electronic models, apart from it eating brushes it was reliable, one set of drum bearings and a pump in 25 years with about one load a day for most of that time.

At least spares were available for it, unlike the AEG which sat alongside it for 15 years before being replaced by a Miele, which has spares as rare as rocking horse dung, but fortunately not so far needed or expected to be needed for some time.

Reply to
<me9

In message , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote

Other manufacturers design for the 21st century and incorporate electronic means for controlling the drum to balance a load. Miele just use a large block of concrete :)

Reply to
Alan

so did our Indesit 30+ years ago.

Reply to
charles

In message , hugh wrote

I have only purchased "cheap" washing machines and the average life of them in the past 30 years has been around 8 years.

Ignoring the fact that most of your warranty cost goes on the seller commission, if the warranty cost is low the item will be reliable and if the cost is high then it may be cheaper to save the money and use it to buy new after a few years.

But how many of these long warranties come with conditions such as regularly serviced by the main dealer at a cost of many hundreds of GBP per year? Or perhaps restricted to first owner with the knowledge that the majority of new car purchasers will be selling on in a few years.

Reply to
Alan