Cheaper to disconnect gas, or a mistake re cost of disconnect?

A relative's house is now entirely E7 storage heaters (static and thermosta= t operated fan storage heater, dimplex VFM32i bought boxed new for =A399), = with 50-80mm internal wall insulation.

I have just switched Gas+Elec into Elec. I planned to get the gas disconnected. However National Grid charge =A3403 to disconnect a

Reply to
js.b1

operated fan storage heater, dimplex VFM32i bought boxed new for £99), with

50-80mm internal wall insulation.

contract with no standing charge - or am I wrong? that said the relative has done just that for 1yr (saved £1700 on gas related repairs, I bought the heaters).

Surely, you can just get it capped off at the meter for no charge at all?

Reply to
GB

Yes, but the gas meter still exists so you need a gas contract - I think. You can't simply forget it exists, because you have to pay the Gas Transporter for the rent / maintenance of the meter and network supply.

However, reading 4 energy company Terms & Conditions for Dual Fuel contracts I can find nothing that says "if you have a dual fuel contract, you must draw N kWh of gas or will be charged a minimum amount".

So yes, it seems I just get the meter outlet capped and continue a dual fuel supply, draw no gas, and bizarrely they get nothing on the gas side and I get a dual fuel discount.

Reply to
js.b1

...and free gas when you buy a meter off ebay :-p

Reply to
Phil L

or when TransCo insist repeatedly that there isn't a supply.

House that used to be ground floor shop and upstairs flat. Little old lady rented both from landlord years'n'years ago from landlord who lived elsewhere. Gas meter for flat in cellar of shop. Bills sent to Landlord's address.

When LOL retired landlord converted shop into residential and let LOL continue tenancy. LOL wanted to change gas supplier. Transco say "we've been to number 400, and there's no meter there". LOL says "no, I live at number 350". Transco say "we've been to number 400, and there's no meter there."

Upshot is, LOL had no gas bills for the last 12 years. She's now moved out, so the next incoming occupier is going to have an interesting time.

JGH

Reply to
jgh

I think some used to just turn the old ?blue? meters around, "dials to the wall". It was stopped by changing the inlet/outlet fittings on ?cream? meters.

I do know the relative did have the old type of meter until 1998 whereupon a meter reader had it off the wall the same day for that very reason. She was never cold, used to burn the old telephone directories as she worked at an exchange :-))

So bizarrely I have to phone uSwitch tomorrow and convert to dual-fuel.

Reply to
js.b1

I would have thought if you went for one of the contracts where they in effect incorporate the standing charge into the gas price for the first "n" units, then you should be able to simply use less (i.e. none!) and hence pay nothing.

Sounds like a good plan.

Reply to
John Rumm

In the two summer quarters, I never get through the first "n" units, so my standing charge is effectively reduced.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Did some(all?) utilities recently change so they charge more first "n" units in the winter quarters than the summer to offset this?

Must watch they do not introduce a "no usage penalty", otherwise I can see a lab gas tap & natural gas ring burner being set up.

Reply to
js.b1

can't simply forget it exists, because you have to pay the Gas Transporter for the rent / maintenance of the meter and network supply.

can find nothing that says "if you have a dual fuel contract, you must draw N kWh of gas or will be charged a minimum amount".

supply, draw no gas, and bizarrely they get nothing on the gas side and I get a dual fuel discount.

Can those of us with no possibility of mains gas insist on having a bogus gas meter installed so that we qualify for dual fuel tariffs then?

British Gas had the temerity last week to come around trying to sell loft and cavity wall insulation in our village last week.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I'd have thought so, mind you they will want to make money out of anything these days. Mine is capped off, though now its also capped at the street due to them not bothering to put in the plastic for houses with no gas.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Last year I had 2 quarters with no use and paid nothing. The units are all the same price and no SC. I've dual fuel via Ebico and every time I've tried a comparison site I get negative savings!

Reply to
PeterC