Chasing computer wiring (Cat-5) into plaster over brick wall

Hello Dave

Mine seem to be wire breakdowns or bad connections. The HH box failed as well after a year.

You've got pots and HH? 3 lines?

We call 154 for reports, yeh, but their software tends to proclaim the fault is in our house, which it rarely is. And with dodgy wiring a reset prolly won't help us.

True. LLU was really hated by BT.

Reply to
Simon Avery

Hello Dave

I've worked alongside BT and Electrical guys working up poles in darkness during bad storms. Might have changed recently, but they didn't used to be bothered, in fact they were all pretty happy thinking about the overtime.

Reply to
Simon Avery

I went in February four years ago. Brilliant fun, especially the snowmobiling on the river bed. Temperatures were an average of -40 degrees but the trick was to dress appropriately to avoid getting too hot. Although the days in terms of sunrise to sunset were quite short at that time of year, the snow reflects what little light there is very effectively and adds a couple of hours to each end of the day.

They have a bar made of ice, of course, with a door shaped like an Absolut Vodka bottle. The drinks are served in drilled out blocks of ice. The temperature inside never drops below -5 so you can sit in there comfortably with a couple of sweaters.

The reindeer, which is supplied by Sami people who come into the area is absolutely outstanding.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You could get ISDN on residential if you really wanted it. However the rental was the same but the terms where residental, so slower response to faults, lower compenstation.

With different offerings depending on the srevice. No MSN on Home Highway for example.

And only put the cable in where they feel they might get a chance of any return. *All* of the country has a cable company holding the franchise for a given area but only the urban/densely populated areas actually get to see any service.

A couple of years ago there was talk of fibre being laid between here and Penrith. The cable franchise holder said they would cable the town for free if the link was provided. Note the town, not the two villages of Nenthead or Garrigill or all the outlying farms/houses.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Don't know if this is still relevant, but six or seven years ago we began using a lot of ISDN2 (and later 2e) circuits at the radio station. Some lines seemed to be very prone to lockup, and at first BT claimed that it was a problem with an early generation card at their end. Eventually all the cards were changed/updated but the problem never completely went away. Later on we started using Cabletel (now NTL) ISDN where that was available because it was literally half the cost. We had similar problems there, even though they claimed to be using different equipment to BT.

We/they traced it to the way the circuits were used. If we had a piece of ISDN equipment permanently attached and powered up, even if not actually on-line, everything was (usually) ok, but lines where the equipment was left powered down for lengths of time or was unplugged for maybe a fortnight at a time had occasional lockup problems.

Since some of these lines were at sports grounds there was no way we were going to leave equipment permanently attached. In this case the solution was to phone a few days before an important match and get BT/NTL to reboot the card remotely - something they were usually quite happy to do.

The problem got better, but never disappeared, at least not in my time there.

Don't know if it's related, but I thought it was a story worth tellig anyway :-)

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

Ah yes, I remember that now - it's been a while since I added the last one - I remember that being one of the reasons. It's a cost effective way of having a selection of numbers for business purposes and also so that the kids can have their own phone numbers.

Also, IIRC, ISDN2e allows things like call divert at the exchange, which my PABX will do, whereas HH I believe won't. My rationale in having one line as a Highway line was that you do at least get one working analogue phone connection for use if the power fails.

It's a pity that Oftel etc. don't put conditions in their licenses requiring them to provide a more widely available service rather than cherry picking.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

The landline networks were already built, the mobile companies are still paying for their networks and licences.

The phones themselves are heavily subsidised.

Each base station has a limited capacity (far lower than that of a telephone exchange) so you need more of them to cover a certain area.

If you were starting from scratch then arguably mobile would be cheaper.

Reply to
R W

Hello Dave

Ah, gotcha. Looked at that, but it was a bit pricey for my needs - my work doesn't need more than one number. HH was attractively priced at the time (50ukp install) and compared to dialup it's fantastic. I ran a 64k and 56k BBS off it using a Courier I-Modem for a while too.

Reply to
Simon Avery