Ch4 tuning problems (nr Manchester)

But that is very obviously not the case here ...

... Neither has the OP, it would seem ...

Reply to
Terry Casey

Martin....

Any chance of a photo of the aerial in use being posted somewhere and the house which upon its mounted perhaps?....

Reply to
tony sayer

On 06/12/2012 16:48, Terry Casey wrote:> In article , snipped-for-privacy@jasper.org.uk says... >>

Indeed. This Panasonic kit is exceptionally cretinous in this respect. It would be hard in fact to think of a more stupid f*ckwit algorithm for allocating signals to keypad channel slots.

First one found grabs the slot forever and so if the phantom stations are in low channels you are in big trouble!

What happens is that because Welsh Wales programs are on channel 39 with lousy SNR if they are detected then they squat on the slot forever and the later search of the local transmitter despite finding perfectly good broadcast signals cannot replace them. Nor can you replace them with a manual rescan of the "right" channels - it prefers the useless zero signal to noise thing it has to the Q10 S7 signal in the bush.

The only thing that works (although actually the method you suggested is equivalent) is to scan the entire range with the aerial disconnected and then force manual tuning on *only* the local transmitter channels.

Oh and then disable warn on new channels found or the phantoms from the distant transmitter will cause your aged relatives to do what you told them to do dozens of times before to get rid of the annoying big grey screen on bootup that says "New channels found retune Y/N?".

Third time lucky it seems.

A block scanning on this channel would be much more appropriateand would then allow ordinary users to deal with interference problems from neighbouring regions.

You would think that they would have thought it through so as not to create a crosstalk problem in a major city like Manchester where most on the West side point at Winter Hill and the nearly in line Welsh repeater! Now that I am aware of the issue lots of people have chimed in that their set finds phantom Welsh channels with cubist rendition!

I wonder how many Panasonic models are screwed up in this respect?

I cannot see why any engineer with more than two brain cells to rub together would allow a program slot to be occupied with a signal so bad that it cannot support decoding when a much better one comes along.

Don't they teach signal to noise in modern electronics courses?

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

In message , Martin Brown writes

CH 39 does represent the main Moel y Parc transmitter. As I said before, I doubt if Storeton could be picked up near Manchester, but it is on CH57 with the same polarisation as Winter Hill on CH59. That's the problem where I am.

Reply to
Bill

My sony boxes did. But then I got a more directional aerial and the ghosts went away..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher