CH programmer backup

I have been searching for a replacement electronic CH programmer that does not depend on a battery for backup of the settings, planning ahead for the time when I shall not be here.

I thought I had found what I need in the Drayton Invensys LP522 programmer. Their Product brochure states:

" Uniquely in the controls market, the Lifestyle range now has automatic summer/winter time adjustment, making the bi-annual summer/winter manual reset a thing of the past. In addition, the LP range has a new, highly accurate, preset clock, virtually eliminating the need for time adjustments through the product?s life.

The new "memory saver" feature provides peace of mind for the user, especially in the event of power interruptions or power cuts. The time and programme memory are always saved.. LP users will never again need to search for their instructions to remember how to re-set or re-programme the clock. "

Sounds ideal.

However, the Technical Details state that it has a lithium battery. This probably has a life expectancy of 10 - 15 years maximum, so there will come a time when it needs to be replaced, and whilst this can be done (

) it looks a tricky job for a non technical person.

Solid state non-volatile memory chips used in lots of domestic appliances are cheap enough so I would hope that is how the settings are stored, and it may be that the battery is there solely to maintain the clock during power failure. The obvious solution here would be a radio controlled clock (again very cheap nowadays) which would reset itself on restoration of power.

Does anyone know of an alternative product that would meet my needs? All the ones I have checked so far depend on a battery for backup.

The simplest solution I suppose is a programmer with an easily changed battery and a scheduled annual replacement of battery, say along with the smoke alarm battery change, but my existing programmer flattens the battery in the event of a power cut lasting just a few hours, and then it's back to re-entering all the settings.

Reply to
Tom B

The Honeywell programmable thermostat (CM67?) has an option for an MSF receiver. I suspect other makes also have the option or built in.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How about a battery-powered programmer (i.e. no mains at all)? I'm sure they run for a good few years but, just as important if I understand your circumstances and requirements correctly, the battery changing procedure is usually as easy as that of a TV remote control (certainly my Honeywell CM907 is as easy as this - and as Dave mentions an MSF module is available if considered essential).

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

In message , Tom B writes

Having done dozens, I'd say that breaking tangs etc are the biggest danger, but hardly difficult - you need to be able to use a soldering iron

sorry, but no

Reply to
geoff

10-15 years on from now the heating system will be knackered and no one will give a stuff about the controller, chances are the batteries won't be available anyway.

The square shaped LCD Honeywell ones did that on a regular basis but were fixable for about a fiver.

The Honeywell CM60/61/67 series (now defunct) used alkaline AA cells, battery life is easily a couple of years.

Reply to
Matt

Superseded by the 907 etc with nicer display - also takes 2 * AA

Reply to
John Stumbles

Soldering is not a problem for me, but regrettably by the time it will need doing I shall be dead.

Reply to
Tom B

What a sad reflection on today's throw away society. Are we all being brainwashed in to thinking that a heating system is a consumable item?

Reply to
Tom B

Thanks, I'd missed that. A PIC chip, an LCD display and an EEPROM would do the job but a) I do not have the time (see my other reply) and b) What would the Home Energy Efficiency 'expert' make of a home made controller. - " It isn't on my list so I can't approve it".

Reply to
Tom B

So it would no longer be your problem

Really, I think you should move on to more important things. If a programmer dies in say 10 years, then let those who survive you just buy another one. I'm sure there will be bigger problems and more important issues to be tackled

don't clog your mind up with such unimportant crap

Reply to
geoff

In message , Tom B writes

Well, probably ( - if it wasn't for people like me) - we're turning into a nation of hairdressers

maybe you should teach your brood how to go about solving and fixing problems - your approach regarding something like a programmer doesn't fill me with confidence

Reply to
geoff

If you're not there, won't the people that are there be capable of programming it? I note that you'll *really* not be around (presumably something you know with some certainty), but wouldn't a simple set of handwritten instructions for how to programme it be as sensible a legacy as a new CH programmer?

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough. My existing programmer is a Towerchron which has given me good service for over twenty years but is now definitely on the way out. e.g. one digit is stuck on due to a fault within the (unnamed) driver chip. I've repaired it a few times over the years, and yes, I do have a set of programming instructions and my family do know how to do it. It is however a pain in the backside and I was hoping for state of the art replacement. In 2007 it shouldn't be necessary to reprogram the clock after a mains failure and settings could be saved in a chip costing less than a battery. My TV and PVR cope without resorting to a battery (and before the pedants jump in, I know some still do).

On the more philosophical point, I'm sure most of you younger posters are convinced you are going to live forever (as I used to be) but sorry to enlighten you, it isn't so. I bet most of you haven't made a Will either. I do have a terminal prognosis.

Thanks for the positive responses.

Reply to
Tom B

It's down to cost and requirement. But shit, talk about a futile conversation.

Just go with a battery-powered model and be done with it - much more likely to preserve settings (even the clock bar a few seconds at worst) given the expected power disruption every few years.

That's very sad to hear, sincerely.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton