Central Heating/hot water advice

Been reading a lot of the topics here on boilers etc so thatnks to a lot of you regulars for your advice. However, still have some questions.

We're in the process of doing a bathroom refit, and want to replace the boiler. We currently have a circa 25 yr old Baxi fllorstanding boiler in the kitchen. It uses the old kitchen chimney as its vertical flue. This chimney runs through the upstairs bathroom in a corner, all tiled round. Subject to cost considerations and what our builder says, we'll probably get rid of the chimney.

Anyway, bathroom not that big and we would like to install a dedicated quadrant type shower cubicle. Currently have a Aqualisa power shower over the bath. We have a hot water tank airing cupboard in the bathroom which I would like to get rid if.

I had just assumed that to do this, we would have to replace our old gravity fed system with a combi. Had looked at the Worcester 40 HE Plus sytem, but reading stuff on here has made me worried about performance. We have a 2up, 2 down Victorian terrace, with one bathroom but I suppose I really do need to go and measure the flow rate at the taps. It seems pretty strong, but it is one of those kitchen mixers so I will measure the garden hose tap.

Anyway, someone mentioned to me yesterday about why not getting a hot water tank put in the loft. Didn't think this was possible but a little bit of research has left me totally bewildered about vented/unvented/gravity/mains pressure tanks, thermal stores etc etc etc...argh...

So, the simple question is, what kind of tank would be suitable. All we want is good shower/bath performace so I'm assuming a good combo of flow rate and pressure. I don't have a need for instant hot water as we're not in during the day, and during morning and evenings wher we are at home, the hot water is switched on. Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Reply to
KS

As your mains supply is good, I'd recommend a heat bank for this application. If you're not bothered by having good bath performance, the combi boiler will provide excellent showers for less money.

My heat bank is mounted in the loft, along with the boiler. If you have a boiler up there, there are requirements for access, which amount to having boarding, a decent loft ladder, hand rails, lighting etc.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I would look at a combination cylidner of tank/cylidner with a quick recovery coil to do all oulets at low pressure and an average flowrate combi to do the high pressure shower only. The heating side of the combi re-heats the cylinser. Look at:

The bottom one on the right, sized to suit your needs.

Using a combination tank/cylinder uses wasted space in the loft. It gives you what you want. Instant high pressure showers from the combi. Fast flow for quick bath fillups, basin, w./machine.kitchen taps.

You could take the cold supplies from the combination tank/cylidner too, except to the shower and kitchen tap, which comes from the cold mains.

A cost effective way to go and gives you exactly what you want. Consider an Alpha CB50 stored water combi with high flows.

For a 2 up 2 down ideal too. Price both approaches up.

Reply to
IMM

Hmm, not sure I'm keen on having a combi just for a shower, and then the heating side of it. doing both the central heating and heating a cylinder.

Reply to
KS

Any recommendations as to makes and suppliers?

Reply to
KS

For heat banks, boilers, or loft ladders?

I have a DPS Pandora 180L, Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28HE and an Abru. I'm happy with all three.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Sorry, I meant heat banks. I'll take a look at the Pandora.

Ta

Reply to
KS