Ceiling painting roller recommendations?

Hi,

I normally paint ceilings with Dulux Rich Matt (liquid, not solid) and use a Harris pile roller.

This does have a tendency to spatter, which previously did not matter (empty room, easy to cover).

However, the kitchen/diner looms and it is full of furniture and also large, meaning trying to cover everything is more of a hassle...

Anyone got any roller recommendations that don't spray so much? Or a paint? I'm not fixed to Dulux for ceilings - willing to try something else...

I did consider "solid" Dulux until I saw the price...

Cheers,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Have you considered using a large paint pad? Fast and neat.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I've never used one, how do they work? Dip in a roller tray, wipe off on the slopey shelf bit and apply?

Does one load do more than a roller, or similar?

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Pretty much!

Depends on the size of the pad - and the size of the roller...

I bought a pack of nice big pads, and a pivot-head holder with a hole in the bottom for a broomstick. If you practice a bit, you may be able to avoid having to cut in with a brush, as the pad can do a nice sharp edge. The pads are also good for painting behind radiators.

Reply to
S Viemeister

In article , Tim Watts writes

Realistically I think you'll need to cover up anyway to avoid the risk of the odd drip, splash or spatter that you wont notice until it's set.

Uber thin plastic dustsheets are dirt cheap and dead easy to spread out, tape down and drape over immovable stuff.

Given that, stick with liquid and a 9" or better a12" frame roller.

I've used Leyland white emulsion recently and it's fine, also used their sister 'quality' brand Johnstones but it wasn't worth the extra money.

I bought one batch online but got the second lot from their local trade counter as they were prepared to match a very competitive online price (after some teeth sucking and mild squealing).

Reply to
fred

Interesting - I have a trade place 30 mins away.

Then again, I have half a tub of Dulux left too...

What's the difference between "trade" paint and non trade? Is "trade" better/cheaper but harder to work with for plebs?

Reply to
Tim Watts

When I used Dulux solvent based stuff in the past (for wood) I bought the trade stuff as I figured it would have been dicked around with less and was guaranteed not to be non drip!

These days I don't really pay attention to those terms but do avoid 'contract' (aka cheap shit with poor coverage) and gimmicky stuff like solid (sorry) or the colour changing stuff (pink to white on drying).

If I was buying new just now I'd probably buy leyland but if (as happened a while back) I came across a good deal for Crown or Dulux at a shed I'd get a job lot of that to have in.

For the price match I did a lot of online searching, found one place that was foolishly cheap then phoned up the trade counter to see if they would match. They were prepared to match the price inc delivery and when I went over I took a print out of a trial basket from the online outfit as a courtesy.

Reply to
fred

+1
Reply to