Caulk

Just used some decorators caulk after not using it for years. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it used to be in a form that was powdery that you could sand lightly?

This acrylic stuff is like bleedin bath sealant... Am I missing something here?

cheers

Reply to
Bill

You've bought caulk, rather than filler, perhaps?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

What do you recommend to get Chris?

cheers

Reply to
Bill

Depends what you're filling... acrylic is not much good for small imperfections in walls, etc. because it results in a very flat (shiny) surface, which tends to show through paint. You can't really sand it, 'cos the sanded finish is poor. It is good for cracks around architraves, in the corners of walls and ceilings, that sort of thing, where you can gun it in and tool it with a spatula or wet finger or whatever. For craters and small imperfections in walls, stuff like Wickes filler (powder that you mix with water) is quite good, and cheap, but sometimes there seems a little "grit", very, very fine sand in it, which can be a B- when feathering out thin. Still, it rubs down easily enough. More expensive fillers (like "Polyfiller") are really, really fine powders. I find the cheaper stuff is OK. Personally, I don't like "ready mixed", 'cos it has a shelf life, bits can get into it, it's mixed to a consistency and you have to fiddle with it anyway to change the consistency, and it's more expensive than the powder.

You can get mix-it-yourself filler to feather really, really well if you add a drop or two of PVA to the mix (*after* adding some water). This can make the stuff unfortunately rather abrasion resistant, though.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Don't tempt us ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I suppose you didn't bother to read my (hopefully) helpful reply. I suppose you won't make a positive contribution, either.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I thought caulk was a quick fix for small gaps. Are you saying that there are two types of caulk, depending on the end usage?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Thanks for the comments. So, can i get some form of gap filler that can be sanded but can be used in a gun?

cheers

Reply to
Bill

The message from Dave contains these words:

As I use it, caulk comes in tubes for a skeleton gun and is for things like gaps between skirtings and unevenesses in walls, down the edges of fitted units, that sort of thing. Stays slightly flexible and is very very sticky so it doesn't come adrift and expose a gap just where you were hoping to hide one.

Filler is for filling dents and things, perhaps sloppily made joints which aren't expected to move slightly, that sort of thing.

Filler you trowel on and sand down. Caulk you get right while it's wet, using a wet finger if needed.

Filler is (often) plaster based, caulk is PVA based.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Bill" contains these words:

I've not seen one, but there's nothing to stop you making up the filler you like and sticking it in an old caulking cartridge.

Reply to
Guy King

No, I was just suggesting that there might be a difference in what was being said to what was needed! Whether that's so or not I'm unsure.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I've got some Evo-Stik Decorators Caulk in a gunnable tube that can be painted and sanded .I got it from

...Item no 10359 I havent yet used it so can't comment on it's performance ..

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Sandable caulk used to be available (Radiospares listed it about 10 years ago), but I've not seen it around for a looooong time. I would use it every time if I could get it easily.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit