Cast iron bath(s)

Page 2 of 3
On 1 Feb 2004 17:40:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

Interesting turn of phrase.

Just 18 stone ?
On reflection, I think paying a couple of guys to remove one old cast iron bath and matching (lemon yellow...) basin and loo, and fit modern replacements was worth the money. Ignore the cynics, there is nothing wrong with a decent thick acrylic bath, other than a tendency to mark if you drop something heavy and sharp in (what my kids get up to, I don't know). I bought an extra-length one as sitting in a airline-cattle-class position, knees around head, is not my idea of relaxation.
--
Like I said before, I don't repeat myself!

Mail john rather than nospam...
Chris Hodges wrote:

I used a sledge and every ounce of muscle power I possess. It broke.
Once started its easier to finish.
nightjar

The bath won't crack with gentle taps.
You need to use those atroophied things called muscles.
Paint a picture of IMM and Toby Blair on it and THEN use a sledge.
Mind you,

I have the sledge from blacksmithing. However, if I had taken as big a swing in the bathroom as I did in the smithy, I would have enlarged the bathroom at the same time.
Colin Bignell
On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 15:43:14 -0000, "nightjar"

Dunno how heavy my sledge hammer is but it's done for a couple of cast iron baths now (and one shower pump that got in the way underneath :-()
Ear defenders and safety specs a must - and that's from one of the "bit of noise|muck in the eyes|electricity|radiation|nerve gas|WMD never hurt anyone" school :-)
wlb is too small, you need to *REALLY* enjoy yourself, with a sledge hammer .........
On 1 Feb 2004 14:03:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

Huge wrote:

You wimp. Put sme BACK into it.
Use a 4lb sledge! Wear ear defenders.

4lb, put some real back into it
4KG is better, and METRIC.
Rick

Ear defenders, goggles, gloves & safety shoes. I'm too old to believe in my own immortality.
Huge wrote:

Yep. All of those.
ear defenders top, I wear glasses so that's OK, gloves for carrying the shards (very sharp) Safety shoes marginal.

All that means is that you can get shards of glass or plastic in your eye as well. Glasses will stop light particles, but are no protection against anything with any real energy.
Colin Bignell

No it isn't. Stuff gets round the edges of glasses (never seen those lab glasses with sides?) and replacing 1.50 worth of goggles beats 300 worth of photochromic, wide angle varifocals.

You wouldn't say that if you saw the cheerful colour of my right large toe. (Yes, I didn't put the shoes until *after* I'd dropped a bit on my toe.)

Well I find this all very depressing; I took my CI bath out - I rebuilt the bathroom and then put it back and had one of these guys come in a repaint it. It's a lovely bath and I wouldn't have anything else but it. I think you're all a load of vandals.
Who's for the Save the Cast Iron Baths Society (SCIBS)
Rob

When I took out my tatty cast iron bath and replaced it with a new one, I left the old one in the front garden ready for disposal. But didn't need to - it got nicked. It was probably Victorian, but in poor condition and far too small.
--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Dave Plowman wrote:

My old cast iron bath was pink. And the enamel was worn.
And could not be removed without being broken up, or using a crane and a window.
It had maybe 100 quid value.
Of course, after a 500 quid re-enamel, it would have gone for 800 quid. In a reclaim store.
Cost benefit showed it was easier to sledge it and scrap it.

Exactly the same happened to my M-I-L's one.
On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 01:15:37 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

Sometimes pikeys serve a useful purpose (testing Tony Martins shotgun being one of them ;)). I expect it might have been filched to take down the scrap metal merchants to make a few bob.
PoP

I'd have said it was worth more being re-conditioned and sold on rather than just scrapping.
--
*Life is hard; then you nap

Dave Plowman wrote:

Yes, provided the ost of getting it out in one piece doesn't wipe out teh profit.

snipped-for-privacy@lineone.net (Rob Graham) writes:

If it had been white, I'd have kept it. It wasn't, it was cranberry. We didn't call it the "vile bathroom" for no good reason, you know.