Car door lock problem (Rover 25)

I am very suprised. My '97 Rover 400 had remote locking/unlocking and I'd be very suprised if the newer 25 and 45 didn't.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Has it got cables going into the door? You could make an informed guess by counting them. But Lucas CL motor colours were generally Green/Slate and Light Blue/Orange

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The SD1 Rover had CL from the '70s. IIRC, the 200 series did too - or at least some of the models, but both operated by the key. Can't much see the point in a remote if it doesn't open the doors.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Regulary get the doors frozen to the seals up here.

Heated windscreens are magic. B-) Will have the frost on the inside running off in 5 mins or less.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And here - the sliding side doors on the van are particularly prone to it (but it'll hit -30 or worse in Jan/Feb here).

I'd keep things in the garage, but too many times the garage doors have frozen to the ground or their locks have iced up, so it's less trouble to just leave everything outside and leave it idling for 20 mins before I need to go anywhere.

I don't think I've ever had vehicle door locks ice up, though.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

En el artículo , JakeD escribió:

Is it the original or a copy? It might just be a worn key.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I tried my 25 yesterday and if I insert the key and simply turn it clockwise, it doesn't rotate at all. You have to turn it *slightly* anti-clockwise first and then it will turn. Don't know if it's a common problem. Generally it works OK, as only recently I confirmed I could disable the alarm using the key code input method i.e so many turns anti-clock and so many clockwise.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

Mike Tomlinson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@jasper.org.uk:

It looks like the original pair of keys. Yes, they are both worn. I guess there is no way to get an unworn key cut using a worn one as a pattern, so I guess I'm out of luck.

JakeD

Probably worn lock too.

Is there anything left of Rover servicing and records? I'm pretty sure for most current cars, a new key can be made from digital data which the dealer garages probably have access to without having an original key.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

So do WH Smiths but you have to grind it up yourself.

Reply to
The Other Mike

A locksmith may also gain that info from looking inside a lock.

I am not saying the locksmith I know is good but he used to be able to make a Ford car key to match the lock (some years ago) by just looking at it (sometimes by looking at it on a car seat of the car it was locked inside). He used to be the locksmith at Armley.

Reply to
ARW

In message , ARW writes

So did the storeman at my local Ford dealership, he took my key, looked at it for all of 5 seconds and ordered a spare. No, there were no numbers stamped on it. A bit scary really...........

Reply to
Bill

It is just a case of looking at the angle of the cuts.

The cuts were done in gradients of 1 to 5 and ISTR there were 6 cuts.

Look and compare is all that was needed.

And of course anyone could enter and start a XR3i with just a screwdriver:-)

Reply to
ARW

+1. Some more modern locks (Fords?) might be a bit different, but the traditional ones are so sloppy inside that the arguments which clockmakers and quality locksmiths use against WD40 don't really apply, IMHO.

Yup, and I have had Acorn plastic pipe to an external tap in direct sunlight for > 20 years. It has only just developed a pinhole. (It's faded quite a bit).

Reply to
newshound

Is this where I say, "but why would anyone want to" ;-)

I test drove one many years ago and actually quite enjoyed the drive, came as quite a surprise.

When I had a reasonably quick ford I had to remove the door cylinders and weld plates over the holes to make it more difficult for the scrotes trying to nick it.

Reply to
fred

In message , fred writes

I had similar with a 3ltr Capri. I ended up fitting extra Yale style locks. I lost count of the number of mornings that I came out and found the Ford fitted lock open.

Reply to
Bill

In article , Bill writes

Mine was later, from the narrow chubb key spike & grind era and unlock attempts were messy. Even with the cylinders disabled and epoxy filled they would wrench one out to try to gain access to the mech and cause even more damage. Fortunately the welding and finishing smooth stopped it dead, nothing visible to attack and no imagination to try an alternate approach.

Thank god for factory fit immobs now.

Reply to
fred

They could have been fitted years ago:-)

Reply to
ARW

They don't stop the doors being opened, though. Was the Ford steering lock as poor as the door locks?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)