Can you use a steamer to remove paper from plasterboard?

Friends of ours are moving into their new house and asked if it was possible to take the wallpaper off with a steamer. Sounds like the paper has gone up over plasterboard, but wouldn't there be some sort of lining paper? If not, what's the easiest way so as not to damage the walls? They want to paint directly onto the plasterboard which I'm dubious about.

I'm tempted to say no just so I don't get asked to do it :)

Reply to
mentalguy2004

I've always been against papering direct to plasterboard for this reason. Whatever you do, steaming it off will also wet the boards surface,best solution is to steam it off and let it dry out then have it skimmed.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The plasterboard surface should be sealed before papering, specifically so you can get it off. Apparently it often isn't in newbuilds.

I really doubt you will be able to and get acceptable results, unless the plasterboard was properly sealed. Otherwise it will need a skim of plaster first. Can they paint the paper, or is is textured?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I don't know if it's flat, textured or what. I made the mistake of listening to my wife who went round there, and as usual I get half a story ;)

Reply to
mentalguy2004

I've got this problem in my house. It's damn near impossible to get the wallpaper off even with a steamer. If you try, it takes ages and you don't know when the wallpaper stops and the plasterboard paper starts. It's even more difficult to spot the join when it's all wet and steamy. Once you start, you're committed so think about it carefully first. If possible, decorate over the existing paper. The only wall I've managed to renovate successfully required new plasterboard and a top skim. I was removing wood chip if that makes any difference. Good luck

John

Reply to
John

You should listen properly!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hey, that's what SHE said!

Reply to
mentalguy2004

I bet she's fed up of saying it too.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

If you had done that, you would still be scratching your head. Very few people an convey what they mean by speech, let alone a wife.

Sorry Mary :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

While the weather is set to rain, get as much steam into the room as is possible. Pots of boiling water, as many electric kettles you can find, steamer going full blast, until you think you are in a tropical forest.

You will now find that the paper will almost drop off the walls without a scraper being used.

Oh! I forgot. Do this very early morning, or late at night, assuming that there has not been any heating in the house. If there is heating on, even at this late stage in the year, turn it off and open all doors and windows for several hours before bringing up the steam levels. This way, all the walls will be as cold as you can make them and the steam will condense all the more onto them.

HTH

Dave

Reply to
Dave

replacing unskimmed PB is a fairly quick easy job, I wouldnt bother trying to steam it. For composting fans, Gypsum is safe on the garden.

Use PB screws, not nails.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Don't apologise for your lack of comprehension :-)

I bet I'd have understood what she said, the problem is that husbands make things too complicated. They can't understand incisive, elementary words.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

When I was a kid, my uncle used to use the bottom half of a hot water tank on legs with an immersion in to boil water in the room, leave 1/2-1hour and walk in and just pull all the paper off by hand. I am sure health and safety would have a major wobbler if they saw this type of thing today.

Reply to
Ian_m

Hmmm! at todays electricity prices, I guess the OP would take a wobbler

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Hmmmm. Electric at say 10p/unit. 3KW immersion for 1hour -> 30p. A bargain if it gets the job done quickly.

Reply to
Ian_m

yes, cost effective way to get electrocuted.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Why? It's only a big kettle with no lid.

Reply to
Andy Wade

The best way I've found to remove paper from plasterboard is wallwik.

You can now get it in the UK from

only need the sheets, you can use your own sprayer to soak them).

Here are the photos from when I used it :-

xscope

Although I've used a steamer, I've found using a garden sprayer filled with warm detergent water far more effective and less messy. The spray nozzle is very accurate. Spray one or two sections, seam to seam and top to bottom, wait 15 minutes, spray one more time, wait 15 more minutes, and the paper should almost fall off. It's worth a try.

The steamer makes an enormous mess, water eventually running down the wall onto the floor, and I soon was also steaming.

Reply to
MB

Doesn't water from a spray run down a wall?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher