Can you buy a strap of some kind to secure bookcase to wall thus preventing toddler pulling it over?

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com coughed up some electrons that declared:

I used a strong eye-hook (about 15mm dia eye) in both the back of the bookcase, and into the wall, then a d-link (screwable chain link) all from B&Q. The d-link could have been a piece of stout string or rope.

The other option is a piece of webbing strap, doubled over at the end and screwed through, with a cup washer into the wall, and do the same into the top of the bookcase. That's typically all the manufacturer supplied ones are.

So, about 5 quid or less, and you should find enough bits to make what you need in B&Q. Start with the section that sells rope and chain, and also the section that sells screws and eye hooks.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Tim S coughed up some electrons that declared:

The other option, which I've also done, is simply to put a long screw through the back of the bookcase into the wall. The screw does not have to pull the case tight to the wall - it simply has to hold.

One 2" screw and a wallplug - probably < 1 quid even if you have to buy a pack.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Does it have a flimsy back panel or a sturdy back panel? Are there strengthening gussets in the top corners? Is this a backless bookcase?

I do wish people would give the whole story. It's difficult to make sensible suggestions without knowing.

Reply to
The Wanderer

its quite solid, the back panel is tongue and groove. no gussets in top corners but still very solid.

Reply to
jgkgolf

Put your message in the body rather than the subject.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

Screw mirror hangers to the back and *rawlplug* to the wall.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I must have half a dozen in my 'useful bits' box left over from IKEA wardrobes. I don't use them often, I prefer to use a small bracket centre top - cant be seen.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That is what I did for a corner cabinet used to display crockery. It is very effective.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

When was the last time you bought any packs of screws in a shed? =A31 for a pack of 2" =

screws...

Anyway I wouldn't trust a single 2" screw with may be only an 1" of that= in the wall (thickness of bookcase and gap taking the other inch) and 1/=

2" of plaster so only the 1/2" tip of the screw standing any chance of holding much pull. Remember we are talking tension here, not shear which= is the force most fixing screws are under.

Probably fine just to steady the bookcase case but not if little Johnny =

decides those nicely spaced shelves make an ideal ladder...

The folded over webbing strap with a good firm fixing into real wall (no= t plaster or plasterboard) is the better method IMHO. Hook eyes generally =

don't have a long enough thread to fix into a wall securely.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Nail little Johnnies feet to the floor, far more effective. Saves having to secure just about every item in the house, as well.

Reply to
Old Git

I use T hinges. Screw the short bit to the wall and the long bit to the top of the bookcase.

Reply to
dennis

Dave Liquorice coughed up some electrons that declared:

No idea Dave, I try not to buy screws in a shed these days - but for an odd job...

OK - fair enough. Apply common sense to job in hand...

I used some substantially heavy duty eyes - about 1.5" long, very thick metal and you will *not* pull them out of the wall easily - thread looks well on the way to a No 10 screw. Think they came from B&Q.

Reply to
Tim S

What sort of mirror hanger Tim?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

This type of thing, presumably:-

Frank Erskine

Is there more than one?:-)

I don't have a url to hand but they are normally T shaped in flat brass or plated steel with two holes for attaching to the rear of the mirror frame and a third hole for fixing to the wall.

Our experience was the shower of Waterford crystal as our eldest pulled the corner display cabinet over on top of herself. Luckily no injuries although she seemed a bit surprised.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Frank Erskine writes

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Ikea supply them with nearly all of their wardrobes. Short length of tough material to be screwed into the top of the bookcase / wardrobe, with an eye and washer supplied for attaching to the wall. Usually sufficiently long enough to accommodate furniture that leans forward slightly away from the wall due to carpet grippers around the edge, and the gap due to the skirting boards.

Perhaps you could give them a call and see if they'd post one FOC as "your pack didn't contain one"?!?

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

To the child; I assume the crystal fared less well?

I can remember when the cat tried to run through the (closed) patio door.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yes :-)