Can't unlock door

I am having a problem unlocking a uPVC door. The key inserts and turns as if it was OK but, at the point where I would expect the door to unlock, it won't turn any further.

Is there anything simple I can try to get in?

Reply to
Mark

I assume you have wiggled, pressed, pulled the handle whilst trying to turn the key? If so it is most likely that something has broken in the locking mechanism rather than the the euro cylinder itself.

Maybe a locksmith type on here can give you a better hint.

Good luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I assume you have tried to unlock it from both sides of the door?.... also have you got a some spare keys to try? Golden rule is always keep the original key as a master and only make copies from that..dont copy a copy because this is the kind of thing that can happen.

Reply to
BigGirlsBlouse

ANGLE GRINDER!!

Reply to
Baz

This our version of Mornington Crescent :-)

Reply to
PeterC

No and no. It's not our door. We are trying to gain access to a neighbours house (at their request) to look after things while they are on holiday. They have stuff in the freezer and their leccy tends to trip out.

I thought it might be because they gave us the spare keys without trying them.

Reply to
Mark

Have you tried lifting the handle fully and holding it there (and/or jiggling it about) whilst you turn the key?

If that doesn't work, try lifting the handle so that you lift the whole door.

If the key goes in the lock and turns then there's nothing wrong with the key or the cylinder - it's something in the locking mechanism which is sticking or out of alignment.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Dear Mr Henry Littlebottom, I find the best way to get two bottles of washing up liquid for the price of one is to put one in your shopping trolley and the other in your coat pocket. Yours Mrs Trellis.

Reply to
Mark

Yes.

Reply to
Mark

I recently had a similar problem with an aluminium door - which turned out to be due to a broken component inside the lock.

Your problem may or may not be the same - but I'll describe mine (and the solution) in case it helps.

The back of the lock bolt has "square-wave" notches in it, and another (spring-loaded) component engages with the notches to stop the bolt from being levered open. Under normal circumstances, when the key is turned, the cam of the Eurolock lifts this component out of the way, to allow the bolt to move. If (as in my case) the part of this component on which the cam operates breaks off, it doesn't get lifted - and the bolt won't move.

In my case, the component which needed lifting had some lugs which moved in slots, and were accessible after the handle plates had been removed. By pushing one of these lugs upwards with the end of a screwdriver at the same time as turning the key, I eventually managed to open the door.

You may be able to do the same *except* that you probably can't remove the handle plates without getting inside the house, since the screws will almost certainly go from inside to outside. [I was able to get to both sides of my door!]

Reply to
Roger Mills

Try turning the key as if you were locking the door, click it that way several times then try turning the key as if to unlock.

Reply to
Scabbydug

We have a door set so that even when it's unlocked it can only be opened from the inside without a key ...from the outside a key is required...so

Lift handle fully + turn key Press handle down + turn key again

Reply to
Chris Oates

We recently moved house, and one of the locks operates in a similar way to your description - the key turns in the lock to the point where it should "click" as it unlocks, but it seems to "jam" mid-turn.

Applying a little extra pressure while doing all the wiggling as suggested elsewhere seems to do the trick though in our case, but it does seem to take a disconcerting amount of pressure to do so...

Reply to
Colin Wilson