can I fit a light in the bathroom?

Mate at work wants to remove a spotlight over the bath (not a zone1 fitting so very naughty) and replace with one of those extractors combined with a light in the middle that are built for the purpose. does he need a part p electrician to do this or can he DIY ? and just for sake of asking, could he put a Zone1 fitting (just a light) on his own or again Part P sparks only? TIA

Reply to
Vass

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 15:48:37 +0100 someone who may be "Vass" wrote this:-

How "naughty" the situation is depends on when it was installed and the precise construction of the fitting.

Assuming your mate's house is in England or Wales he can:

1) get an electrician qualified to self-certify work to do it 2) do it himself and fill in the paperwork for a council official to inspect it 3) do it himself

Note that the third option might be described as "naughty" by the likes of Mr Prescott.

Reply to
David Hansen

As naughty as giving a heckler a left hook, or more naughty ? Or perhaps as naughty as bonking your staff maybe??

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 15:48:37 +0100, a particular chimpanzee, "Vass" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

If it only involves a replacement and does not require any new fixed cabling, it doesn't need to be notified. The new work should meet current guidance, but who's to know (except the Coroner)?

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

also thought your option 2 was valid but I can't find the reference to it in the IEE guide. Also, the local council building control have said I need to approach an approved electrician. Can you give me a pointer to where it says that this approach is allowed? Regards Phil

Reply to
Phil B

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 10:26:16 +0100 someone who may be "Phil B" wrote this:-

Use a search engine on this group. It is covered in great detail, with references to the legislation.

Reply to
David Hansen

I cant see where the part P approved document says that. According to the approved document "any" work in a bathroom requires notification. The list of non notifiable "minor works" specifically excludes bathrooms and other such locations from the exemptions

Reply to
cynic

Page 8, additional notes, note b.

Reply to
Andy Wade

On 26 Apr 2007 10:26:12 -0700, a particular chimpanzee, cynic randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Table 1 [Work that need not be notified to Building Control bodies], line 1.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula