Can a hospital bed go upstairs?

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

That's a big ding! on that. Many private nursing homes seek to utilise staff to the nth degree and frequently don't have two available to lift residents. It's all about the money, and how much the owner can trouser every week.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

That can usually be dealt with fairly easily (especially in a modern house) by making the bedroom a 30 min protected area.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Though many nursing homes make a loss if not enough patients. Can be well over half full simply to break even. And if they can't retain enough staff, and have to get agency workers in, even more expense.

Martin <

Reply to
Martin Davies

I'm afraid that I have formed the opinion that some owners of "private nursing homes" should be got out into their gardens and boiled in their own fat.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Then I suggest you ask them why. The chances are that it relates to a risk assessement that deems it presents a risk to either patient or carers and, if so, they are not likely to budge.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

disabled children with hospital beds upstairs. Admittedly we are looking at having a downstairs room for him, but that is due to safety issues in caring him upstairs - if your nan can manage the stairs safely (or alternatively a stairlift) I see no reason for her not to have her hospital bed upstairs. His OT has no problem with him being upstairs. SS are trying it on to avoid paying for care IMO.

HTH Dom

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

Mark Spice

You're missing a very critical piece of information that I thought you might have guessed. Weight?

Reply to
John Cartmell

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Don" saying something like:

Well, hello Mrs T.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Martin Davies" saying something like:

My heart bleeds for them. Granted, rising costs do take a toll, but the money they charge goes up also.

Agency workers? Sheer bloody luxury. I've known a few geriatric care staff who simply had to fill in and do the jobs of two or even three because the owner was a greedy bastard.

One particular owner I know off ( a truly wonderful human being) was running around in a brand new Porker, owned a heating company, was technically bankrupt and weaselled his way out of paying alimony to his ex-wife, never mind maintenance for his kids. His wife was turning the place upside down looking for the real books so she could dob him in to the taxman.

One Xmas, he trousered the residents' Xmas bonus. I ask you, what kind of s*****ad does that?

He was an uncommonly greedy swine, I admit, but many others are not so far short of him.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Chris Bacon saying something like:

Much better to use them for Biodiesel. Their worthless existence may have had some use then.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Precautions (Workplace) Regulations 1997/99 do not apply to domestic premises though.

Building Regulations (Approved Docs A and M for example) -

could be the greater issue.

Avoidable manual handling (employer's duty wherever care/nursing staff work):

(or similar) may not be manoeuvrable into or within 'normal' bedrooms, bathrooms, toilets. Ditto wheelchair.

Best to ask SS for clarification in any event, let them point you to which regulations do apply in your case.

Nothing is set in stone however; if you are determined enough then 'independent living' is possible and can attract assistance for suitable modifications/equipment/care.

HTH

Reply to
Phil Bradshaw

The message from "Pat" contains these words:

Not in the UK they don't!

Reply to
Guy King

Basements, cellars, whatever you want to call them. Many do. And many don't.

More common I've found in older houses than more modern ones, and not exactly the best thing to have in areas with flood risks. But still plenty of houses with them.

Martin <

Reply to
Martin Davies

Not to mention his American mis-numbering of floors, which muddied things still further..

Reply to
Bob Eager

Did they sell him/her an Age Concern funeral plan before it happened?

Reply to
Tony Bryer

The message from "Martin Davies" contains these words:

Fewer than one in twenty, I'd guess. Perhaps someone out there has the stats.

Reply to
Guy King

Humans are pretty heavy. And not all nursing staff are weightlifters in their spare time.

Martin <

Reply to
Martin Davies

Nope. There is a maximum deflection and an instantaneous failure point. Wooden joists are invariably sized by deflection (when they reach maximum allowed deflection they could bend much, much more before they actually snap), whilst metal joists will usually fail entirely before deflection is apparent. Flitch beams can be optimised so that the two points are much closer.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Ground floor is the ground floor. The first floor above that is the first floor. The next is the second floor.

We have two buildings like that where I work. Not only that, but all the rooms are identified by compass point (N, NE, NW, etc.) and number. And the buildings are asymmetric. But mirror images.

Reply to
Bob Eager

A bit like my local hospital (Royal Berks). The main floor is labelled '2' and is variously the ground floor, or one or two above it. Not helped by the lifts sometimes having numbers for the floors and sometimes having letters for no fathomable reason.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle