Bulbs

SWMBO has seen a light fitting for our lounge. It has 6 40watt halogen bulbs. They are small bulbs like to ones inside a spotlight. I believe they may be Halopin bulbs. They seem costly - any thoughts on the output compared to a normal candle bulb. It was hard to judge it in the shop as they had put

25 watt bulbs in for display.
Reply to
John

If the lights are actually mostly shining out, and not much obstructed, then it'll be similar to a 240W bulb.

As to why they might have replaced the bulbs.

8 hours a day, a 240W light fitting will use around 50 quid of electricity.
Reply to
Ian Stirling

I use those in a number of light fittings. They are very effective, but, unless you have a large room, you may find six lamps rather too bright.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

So 6 bulbs at 4.99 each (screwfix price) is £30 every time you relamp. Sucker born every minute huh.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

..and that is cheap!

Any comments on life? Output?

Reply to
John

The manufacture claims 4,000 hours. Compared to conventional filament lamps, you should get twice the light output and four times the life.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Dubious. For a halogen, you can design for higher light output colour temperature and efficiency, or for longer life. You can't get both options together, at least nowhere near twice the light output and 4 times the life -- those figures aren't even available separately.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I can verify that the light output is considerably higher than a 40W conventional filament lamp and would not be surprised if the claim of double the output were true. However, I don't have an hour meter connected to my lights, so I can only repeat the manufacturer's claim of 4,000 hours. I would say that, since I started using these lamps, all the 1,000 hour lamps in areas with similar use patterns have had to be replaced at least once.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

OK. One of the ideas in life is to get the most things you want with your money, and that means spending 6x50p on a regular basis rather than £30.

If you get 2000hr bulbs at £5 each, plus £6 delivery a set, = £36 a set of 6, and use your lights say 5hrs a day, thats £36 every:

2000/5=400 days. OK not as bad as I thought, only an extra 36-3=33x40yrs= £1320 for your one light fitting. Up to you. I'd prefer a candle bulb version.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton