Built in gas oven

Page 1 of 2
Hi All SWMBO has got her heart set on a gas double oven to replace our old elctric fan oven, we already have a gas hob so the gas supply is there already, how much trouble is it likely to be to fit? The last time I did any gas fitting was with 3" iron pipe in a boiler house (20 years ago). Are there likely to be fittings designed to supply both hob and oven easily available or is it a case of just finding a BSP tee and flexible connector. I guess I'm asking if this has been standardised - in our previous house I just fitted a bayonet fitting.
Nik V
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 17:47:06 +0000, NikV wrote:

Firstly read the instructions. Fitting built in gas ovens is somethings I've only done a couple of times. It might be possible to fit the oven with a flexible hose and use a standard self sealing bayonet connector on the other end. (Screwfix parts 12279 and 14904). This will allow the oven to be slid back in (or out of!) its housing and then connected up.
Failing that you would have to make up some sort of arrangement where the fixed pipewrk could be undone (when the need arises).
See the Gas Fitting FAQ.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Thank you for your quick response. Ive had a quick look at the way the hob is connected, basically gas comes out of the wall elbowed parallel with it to a compression gas cock, a short 8 inch run to another elbow and soldered copper to iron made onto the 15mm tailpiece union on the hob. I will probably remove the section between the union and gas cock and insert a 15mm tee soldered + and bayonet fitting pointing down. Ive done the gas tests before so I will tell the wife that she can order the oven - fitting it can be a valentine present :-/
Thanx Nik

appliances, eg oven units/hobs/gas fires/central heating boilers should be fitted with rigid pipework.

Thats what I thought originally but the built under unit would have to be 'mobile' to slide it out just like a gas cooker, a gas cooker wouldn't be any more mobile but these are often fitted with hoses.
Nik
On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 09:10:00 +0000, tarquinlinbin wrote:

I've got a visitation from the CORGI inspector tomorrow so I'll quiz him.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 19:00:05 +0000, Ed Sirett wrote:

OK. He came and went after giving me a stern lecture about making sure I was proof against the complaining customers from hell (they are on the increase).
So I asked him. He says the manufacturers instructions must be followed. I said I was fairly sure the 'book' said the inlet gas connection is 1/2" bsp female iron. and 'all work to comply with BS 6172' (IIRC).
He quizzed me about the regs for cooker hoses.
Bottom line in his opinion: The only way to connect a built in oven is with a flexible hose to BS 669-1. He says this is what the standard says 'for ovens' (without regard to whether built-in, build-under, slot-in or free-standing).
So I asked about "Say I'm doing a "Landlords'" and I come across a hose supplying a hob". He said OK if 1) Hangs in a neat unstrained U. 2) Not subject to mechanical wear or abrasion. 3) Not in contact with anything that could be 70C+
I said it was unlikely that people would give up the cupboard space underneath. He agreed saying that in his view pots and pans might cause damage to the hose.
I asked about the unsafe procedure categories: We agreed AR (At Risk) if (1-3) above were not being complied with. ID (Immediately Dangerous) if significant damage had already occured even if (1-3) were being complied with.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Nik Venn

Try and persuade her otherwise. There really are no advantages over an electric one domestically - apart from perhaps quicker pre-heating, but lots of disadvantages.
--
*Avoid clichs like the plague. (They're old hat.) *

Pah. I much prefer gas ovens. I usually only want to cook something for 10 to 15 minutes. The electric takes AGES to get up to temperature. The gas is MUCH quicker. I don't cook much puff pastry, so I couldn't care less about even temperatures etc. Besides, when I am doing something more complicated, the electric fan oven doesn't give enough differential between top and bottom for things that require different levels of heat.
Christian.

How old is your 'leccy oven?
Only, when we changed our elderly (12 years?) Philips for a new one, the difference in warmup times was astonishing.

My mother's is fairly old. It was one of the first halogen types. Horrible thing. My last house had a built in oven that must be between 5 and 10 years old now. I don't know exactly when it was installed.
At the end of the day, they're all around the 2 - 2.5kW mark. I can't see how the warmup times would improve that markedly.
Christian.

Quite.
[3 lines snipped]

Me neither. But it was nonethless significant.

Better insulation and less thermal mass etc?
--
*Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.

Dunno. I just concluded the old one was more clapped than we realised.

I have to agree, both from a cooking POV and a taste POV I prefer gas, I always think (rightly or wrongly) that volatiles given off from the food are burnt in the gas oven but just circulated to be deposited in an electric oven.
Nik V

Surely most things that can be cooked in an oven in 15 minutes would be ok and faster in a microwave?
--
*If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 17:55:08 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

God almighty !
Just put any pastry product in a microwave, a Ginsters pasty, a "Snake & Pigmy Pie". anything, even just a slice of bread and give it 30 seconds on high to see it turned into sloppy mush.
DG

Well, about the only time I use pastry is on a pie, and that won't cook in 15 minutes. And i'm not sure why I'd want to put a slice of bread in the oven?
--
*I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

wrote:<snip>

Well, by now out of morbid curiosity, I should imagine!!!
-- Richard Sampson