[building regulation] electrical wiring horizontally

Hi,

before I look for a copy of the electrical regulations, I thought one of you might have had the same kind of concern.

I want to add a pair of electrical sockets in the kitchen. There's already a wire going through a wall and running horizontally at chest height for 1 foot to a socket. I'd like to have a wire run in that same direction for two feet further (behind the laths of a cavity wall) to add that pair of sockets.

Could anyone with in depth knowledge of BS7671:1992 or whatever regulation applies in Scotland please tell me if I'm allowed to do that. What I've read so far is that it was OK to run a cable horizontally at the skirting level or just under the ceiling, but what about 2 feet at chest height behind the laths?

Thanks in advance, Stéphane

Reply to
Stephane CHAZELAS

In message , Stephane CHAZELAS writes

Yes, you can run cables horizontally when feeding a socket etc.

No it isn't.

Rules are basically, within 150mm of ceiling or corners of walls, or horizontally or vertically to an electrical fitting (or has to b2 >50mm deep or protected by steel conduit etc.

Reply to
chris French

If it's in a cavity wall, IIRC the regs don't apply. They're for cables buried in plaster.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)