BT Line test

I am having trouble with my Broadband { the modem DSL light not lit} and suspect the BT line. A while ago some one kindly gave me a number which I could phone and it would do a line test.

What is the number please ?

I suspect it may be BT's equipment not providing a Broad band signal on my line, how do I get them to check it.?

Many thanks

Sam

Reply to
Sam Farrell

Might be a bit dated:

Nitro®

You must contact your ISP's helpdesk.

Who is your broadband ISP?

It's them you have the broadband contract with. They will contact BT if it turns out to be a BT fault. BT will not deal directly with you. ( unless they are also your ISP, in which case, call their ISP helpdesk like any other. )

Some ISPs are better at getting BT faults resolved than others...

Reply to
Ron Lowe

There is a generic test number - 17070 - but it won't really tell you anything more than you can tell by simply lifting the handset, or calling yourself from a mobile (or calling out to your mobile) The extended tests from that number were withdrawn.

Call your ISP.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

On your pc assuming windows: Press 'Start' then 'Run' In the run box write 'cmd tracert' this is not a typo.

When the command prompt opens, after tracert leave a space and type 'bt.com' - or any other well known site, then press enter.

Traceroute will then try to connect in 30 hops. I have just done this with my virgin line and it timed out after 20 hops before it got to bt. So I think virgin is also playing up today. Normally 3ms is a good hop, but it is the overall time that counts.

Your router (usually 192.168.100.1 entered in your browser - or check the manual) may also have a connection/line test facility you can run - my Buffalo does.

A pretty free visual test of this is 3D Traceroute:

Internet Frog:
gives you a similar visualisation as it speedtests and assesses your connection. (do it several times to get an average)

Also useful to know, while you have your command prompt open is 'ipconfig /all' which gives you the ip addresses you are using.

spamlet

Easiest checks you can do, see if you can get ADSL up by

1) plugging the ADSL modem directly into the master socket under behind the removable faceplate (may need to use different cable). 2) swap the filter 3) try another ADSL modem

If you are with Andrews+Arnold, you can perform a full line test from your control pages and see the results in real time. (Obviously, you will need to find some other way to get online.)

If you aren't with Andrews+Arnold, you can perform the pair test only (not the ADSL tests) by going through BT's web pages to report a fault on the line - it gives you the option to do this (which is free) before booking an engineer (which can be chargable). You would need to get your ISP to trigger the ADSL tests, but many ISPs don't have systems in place which can do this, or even staff who would understand what you are asking.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Sorry, but there is absolutely no point doing this at this stage. The OP has no DSL signal so they are not going to be able to do any tests for higher layers.

First thing is to check all your internal wiring, microfilters and telephones.

When these are all OK then check your normal telephone line for noise etc. If you detect a problem here report it to your telephone company.

When this is OK then try your modem/router in the test socket (if you have one). Try another router as well in case the fault lies there.

If things still do not work then report the fault to your ISP. They /should/ do all the necessary to fix the problem.

Reply to
Mark

Indeed.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Thanks for all the tips guys , looks like I'm not getting an ASDL signal up the line. Can't convince the ISP of that so time to change ISP.

Reply to
Sam Farrell

it; the URL doesn't really describe what it's about)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Tell them to get BT out and test the line. For broadband.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Change to Plusnet. All English. Based in Sheffield. They actually listen to your problem and are very good at sorting things out without the need to go through a menu each time.

Reply to
the_constructor

Or AAISP...

Bob Eager

or Newnet. Actually had an outage for about a minute yesterday. First I have noticed for at least a year.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Or IDNET. Or any small ISP who cares about its individual customers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We've found Zen to be very good sorting problems on BT's side of it!..

Reply to
tony sayer

AAISP have a reputation for sorting out line problems/issues. Not the cheapest though.

I am happy with ADSL24.

Reply to
robert