Breaking up concrete close to sewer pipes

Dear all

I have an ugly concrete path at the back of my house that is cracke and collects surface water. I've been thinking of breaking it up an replacing it with gravel (no cats nearby!).

However I am worried about damaging the sewage pipes that I know ar underneath and also the foundations.

Any tips or advice before I have a go at it?

Cheers

Da

-- dan offcamber

Reply to
dan offcamber

Surely if it's only a path it's not going to be very deep - a few inches

- and the sewage pipes and foundations are going to be a lot deeper than that. So unless you're intending to use a JCB...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Indeed.

Rather than smacking it with a sledge, consider hiring a concrete saw and cutting it into bits small enough to be levered up.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

cracked

deeper than

It is suprising how delicate you can be with a Kango if you don't go hammer and tongs at it. A few years bask I managed to remove a cast block of rough concrete 18" cube that had been placed totally encasing a 4" salt glazed drain. The concrete had been placed by the previous twit owner who 'repaired' a crack by tying lino round the pipe and encasing it. As far as I could tell the only crack in the pipe was the original one.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I smashed up a concrete path in my garden with surprisingly little effort and no chance of collateral damage. The trick is to find ( or make ) a weak spot and then lever the concrete slab just a fraction of an inch clear of the ground so that there's a small air gap underneath it.

A small whack with a club hammer will easily break up the unsupported part and then you can attack the next part. I did the job very much faster than I anticipated.

Reply to
Roly