Bosch washing m/c: no drum rotation

Hi, all.

My Bosch WFD 2460 washing machine has failed. The drum no longer spins in any mode.

The belt is fine.

So it's down to the motor or the controller.

The motor has 6 wires going to it, no doubt to be able to do the variable-speed stuff. Some of the wires will be power, others will probably be a tacho feedback. None of the wires are labeled, they are all the same gauge and colour! I don't know what voltages to expect where on the damn thing.

What's the easiest way to fault-find this?

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Try brushes next.

Reply to
John

Then bin it.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

That's pretty much the decision.

I've spun the thing by hand, and there's no change. Not the slightest interest in moving. I don't think its something like the brushes: they fail in a progressive manner. This was a sudden binary failure, and spinning the motor to disturb the brush contact had no effect.

As far as I can see, it's down to the motor or control PCB. I suspect the PCB.

Looking up the cost of spares online:

motor is £184. The control module is £171.

That pretty much writes the 10-yr old machine off.

I would have a go at repairing the PCB if it wasn't for the fact that SWMBO won't accept the uncertainty of it being running by the weekend at the latest. Possibly a stuffed relay or triac or somesuch. But with a young family, we can't have the thing out of order beyond the weekend.

Off to costco tomorrow evening.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Have you tried on eBay for the parts you need?

BigWallop

The problem is I don't actually know the part I need.

Is it the PCB, or the motor?

Given the complicated 6-wire connection I described, I simply don't know how to fault-find without just guessing and part-swapping. I have no schematic. Which wires should have voltage? What voltage? Under what circumstances? Is there a phase shift between certain wires from a run capacitor? If so, which wires? ( I can't see a run cap ) How does the speed controll work? Which wires are tacho? What kind of signal should I expect to see?

Anyhoo, we've moved beyond that now. It's been called. DNR.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

pull the brushes out first, I have had them fail during a wash with warnings

Reply to
Kevin

My (10yr old) Hotpoint failed quite suddenly. The brushes needed replacing (£5!) It must be worth at least trying them.

Reply to
pjlusenet