boiler repairs

Hi,

Whats the most common boiler problems when they break down and is it possible for a reasonable D.I.Y er to repair them bareing in mind the expense of a call out these days.

thanks,

nige.

Reply to
Nige

Why Nigel? What's wrong with your boiler? A make and model helps a lot here. Also need symptoms and what you were doing when the boiler broke down.

Reply to
BigWallop

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 22:48:59 +0000 (UTC), "Nige" strung together this:

The water's cold, I always find that's a major problem.

Dunno, depends how cold the water's got.

Well, sometimes it's worth handing it over to someone who knows what they're doing.

Reply to
Lurch

Hi bigwallop,

no problem with my boiler yet :) just a general question.

thanks

nige.

Reply to
Nige

Depends on how specific an answer you want...

In general terms, failing to heat at all is a common problem. For combis you could add the alternative of just failing to provide hot water.

In many cases yes... again depends on the nature of the problem and the skill level of the DIYer

Reply to
John Rumm

With older boilers probably the thermocouple.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

yes,

I should have asked what boiler components usually fail and can a d.i.y.er replace these,

thanks for your replies,

Nige

Reply to
Nige

I'm afraid it depends on the competence of the DIYer. You can legally replace anything you want on your own boiler - if you are competent to do so.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Nige writes

Usually

pump fan pressure switch pcb heat exchanger diverter valve programmer gas valve one of the temperature sensors

of course it could be something else

Reply to
raden

thanks for replies

nige

Reply to
Nige

Same as cars. Might be easy might be hard.

Some models have stock faults which get known about quite quickly.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

fairly reliable).

stuff, or even just fall to bits in the hot flue gases. It contain a microswitch.

the innards can become sticky with age.

liquid expansions ones tend to become insensitive with age, fixed temp 'cans' - go out of spec or fail, changeover 'cans' can develop dead spots. )

Micro-switches - changeover ones especially.

Syncron motors which power external zone and diverter valves burn out.

Ignition electronics - especially shorting ignition lead or misplaced electrodes.

Expansion vessel - the root problem with the over whelming bulk of sealed systems problems - see FAQ below.

Corrosion of primary circuit - leading to many other faults.

Scaling of the secondary heat exchanger - leading to a cluster of faults.

Reply to
Ed Sirett