boiler recommendations? PCB blown up.

Hi,

I rent one property and my tenant has been in touch to say there is no hot water. The house has a combi gas-fired boiler, model glowworm compact 100e.

I have sent a gas safe registered plumber to have a look and he says that the PCB has blown and that the expansion vessel needs replacing. To be fair, the expansion vessel was noticed last time he did a service and annual certificate, so we knew that was on its way out.

He says the cost of a new PCB will be £120 and a vessel £80 for the parts, but with the labour to fit these, he feels the repair will be uneconomical. He hasn't said what the labour charges would be for me to make up my own mind.

I would think swapping a PCB would be fairly straightforward but he says the expansion vessel is at the back of the boiler, though it was suggested I could have one fitted externally.

The boiler is what was there when I bought the house, ten years ago. Is ten years considered the average life for a boiler these days?

The plumber asked how long I wanted to keep the house for. The idea being the longer I wanted to keep it, the more it makes sense to buy a good boiler. At first he said a boiler with a 2 year guarantee would cost about £500 but when he phoned back with a quote, he said with fitting etc it would cost £950. Is this the going price (I am in the Midlands).

I would like to keep the house as an investment, so want something that will last a few years and be reliable. Also, I want something that I will be able to get spares for in the future. I think the make the plumber mentioned is BRC; I've never heard of them. Have you?

I guess it makes sense to keep it as a combi to save the expense and hassle of installing a cylinder. Also, if it makes any difference it is a three storey house, where the ground floor is the garage and what should be the ground floor (lounge, kitchen, etc) is on the first floor, and the bedrooms are on the second floor.

It doesn't have a power shower and the old boiler seemed to fill the bath fast enough, so hopefully a boiler of the same or similar spec would be ok.

Toolstaion don't seem to do boilers, I thought they used to? And I don't know the brands in Screwfix, though I realise I should also look in plumbers merchants for a wider range.

The quote for thePCB seems about right to me, based on a very quick web search, but the vessel seems dear compared to the prices in TS.

What would you do? get a new boiler or fix this one?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

Check with CET Ltd

can't see your model listed but if Geoff has one, it's probably about half that price.

Half that from BES for a generic one (which might not fit inside the boiler).

That's normally what's done, providing it hasn't sprung an external leak.

Depends on the boiler. I would be dissapointed with only 10 years, although some of the cheaper boilers you buy today might be only that.

Boiler sounds cheap, and the £950 sounds very cheap if it also includes the boiler, unless the new boiler in mind mounts on the existing mounting frame and nothing else needs doing to the system to bring it up to current regs.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Fred writes

PCB is £50 ++ from me

just google "expansion vessel" generic ones cost £20-£30

they can be fitted anywhere in the system, not necessarily on the back of the boiler

Reply to
geoff

Thanks. I knew that Geoff has a company but I could not remember its name. I keep useful posts from this group but there are so many, it's difficult to find the information on demand!

Yes, I thought the vessel was twice the going price. Perhaps I was quoted for the manufacturer's own?

I had a look on Screwfix and they do sell some boilers for 500-600GBP but I don't know those brand names (but why would I, I am not a plumber!?)

I had a look on BHL's web site and yes, the boilers there all seem to be 900GBP plus.

I was just surprised at the labour cost of £500 to fit it. I thought a plumber charged £200/day; is it really two days' work to fit a boiler? I thought they could do it in a day.

Reply to
Fred

Thanks, I shall email you. How strict are you about the seven day return? I guess that is not a problem when the plumber orders from you direct but if I have to order it, then get it to the plumber, then get him to fit it, then get the old one back, then forward the old one to you, it is going to be close and I will have to make sure things run on schedule.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Fred