Boiler probs

Page 6 of 6
Dave Plowman wrote:

Ah. Like the timber framed house across the road ,mentioned in teh Domesday book.
Yup. 1000 years is really crap, when stonehenge is over 3000 years old.
Wooden shite.
And

Irrelevant.
i) Modern houses aren't built from whole oak trees.
ii) You're only looking at the ones that survived; it's a self-selected sample.
Huge wrote:

Mine is. So are others. Anyway teh bits that go are usually roof timbers due to roofing problems. These are wood even in a block house.

Same with castles built of stone, and stonehenge. Block houses will also fall down if left lonhg enough.

So it's a *super insulated* timber framed house, is it?
--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet.

"IMM" wrote | Ms Beeny know anything about building? Please! She knows | about kitchens and paint colours, that's all. A well | insulated house is far more attractive to a buyer.
Have you read her Property Ladder book?
I was reading part of it in WHSmiths yesterday and she has an 'interesting' viewpoint of the relative merits of combi boilers and instant electric showers.
Owain

I thumbed it onece. Seemed overpriced and told me nothing I didn't already know

What might they be?

"IMM" wrote | "Owain" wrote | > Have you read her Property Ladder book? | > I was reading part of it in WHSmiths yesterday and she has an | > 'interesting' viewpoint of the relative merits of combi boilers | > and instant electric showers. | What might they be?
AIUI her point was that it was best to install instant electric because combi's couldn't deliver enough hot water for a shower.
I might have got it wrong, I was only thumbing through it too.
Owain

She probably wrote that, at the wrong time of the month, or she just is thick.

Nonsense. Kitchens & bathrooms sell houses. No-one gives a toss about insulation, other than a few geeks here (and I include myself, before anyone gets the hump about being called a geek.)
The only reason people care about uPVC windows is because they don't have to paint them.

I expect she thinks combis are a waste of money. And for a property developer, they probably are. Paint it magnolia and get it shifted, that's all they care about.
"Andrew" wrote | PS In all the house makeover, 'get rich quick' etc program, | how come I never hear Ms Beeny and others mentioning the | magical word 'insulation' to make the property more | comfortable?. Lets face it, if you are replastering the | walls, why not put up insulated PB and skim that instead ?
Because it adds to the costs and produces no corresponding increase in sale price. This is property development, ie tart it up cheap and sell quick. Expenditure goes on what the customer sees and will pay for, not on 'good' things that are hidden from view. There is usually not even the requirement of Building Regs to put in insulation, as there is with new build.
Owain

Are you sure that you would need a bigger boiler? Combi's often have spare heating capacity as they have to have the output to heat the DHW anyway. A 3 bed terrace probably only needs around 50,000 BTU
We have a '100,000' Btu/h combi in and extended (extra room and bigger kitchen) 3 bed 1930's semi. The old boiler was IIRC 50-60,000 BTU. The heating output of Combis is adjustable. ISTR that when I installed our combi (as part of an extended CH system) I set the heating output to somewhere in the 60-70,000 range.
So I'd want to check if I really did need a bigger boiler first - do some heat loss calc's on the projected extended house. Myson used to have a free heat loss calculator to download, dunno if they still do.
However, if for whatever reason you would need to change the boiler next year then renewing the heat exchanger doesn't seem worth it, given that it's an expensive job.
--
Chris French, Leeds

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 23:34:48 +0000, chris French

Yes they do, but their web site is under construction at the moment and it isn't there..
I have a copy that I can email if anybody needs it.......

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Thanks for the advice, might stick with this one and get a new heat exchanger.
Lod

What make combi?
If going for a new one get a high flowrate and pay the extra. You will not regret it.

Cheers if you could send it to us Andy.
Andy Hall wrote:
Sorry Andy, I missed that.
Its no use talking 'diminishing returns' and 'cost benefit analysis' with IMM. They aren't in the Bumper Book of How Things Work

Andy has that edition under his pillow each night.