BOGOF - 2 questions about floors and tiling

KInd of mirror images of each other, actually:

1 I have a concrete screeded portion of a floor that is well set but I can= 't get to tiling for a while, for various reasons. As bare concrete, it's = shedding dust, so I would like to seal it. The first couple of sealants I = came across specifically stated that they shouldn't be used under tile ceme= nt as it will be unable to key properly to the surface. Some say nothing b= ut, of course, that may not mean anything. Has anyone solved this before?

2 I need to screed and level a small area of floor with a finish described= as 'polished concrete'. It looks pretty smooth and I'm wondering (after = thinking about the issue above) whether I need to do anything to give it a = key. I'd rather not have to score it, so a paint-on treatment would be ide= al. I have some stuff called Feb-bond, which seems to be grit in PVA that= I used to paint onto walls to give them a key for skimming, so I'm wonderi= ng if that might work. Obviously, walls and floors differ somewhat in term= s of walls being walked on only rarely..... Any bright ideas out there?

Cheers

Reply to
GMM

get to tiling for a while, for various reasons.

shouldn't be used

this before?

Dilute PVA.

'polished concrete'.

Why?

Ok I give up. You cant even post a message that wraps correctly so I am f*ck off and wont refornmat it so I can read it and reply

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The improper wrapping is mildly annoying, but since you're using TB, the fix is simple ... after hitting reply, type ctrl-A ctrl-R

Eayseir thna decippehring dogdgy trypnig!

Reply to
Andy Burns

get to tiling for a while, for various reasons. As bare concrete, it's shedding dust, so I would like to seal it. The first couple of sealants I came across specifically stated that they shouldn't be used under tile cement as it will be unable to key properly to the surface. Some say nothing but, of course, that may not mean anything. Has anyone solved this before?

'polished concrete'. It looks pretty smooth and I'm wondering (after thinking about the issue above) whether I need to do anything to give it a key. I'd rather not have to score it, so a paint-on treatment would be ideal. I have some stuff called Feb-bond, which seems to be grit in PVA that I used to paint onto walls to give them a key for skimming, so I'm wondering if that might work. Obviously, walls and floors differ somewhat in terms of walls being walked on only rarely.....

Investigate waterglass (sodium silicate)an old method, it reacts with the concrete and stops dust problem. There are various modern formulations made with sodium silicate which cost a fortune but if you can find the basic chemical it would be a lot cheaper.( they used to preserve eggs in waterglass)

Reply to
F Murtz

IME general purpose pre-mixed tile cement sticks to anything, including the face of other tiles and very dusty surfaces

Reply to
stuart noble
[...]

PVA for everything. Seals, bonds, can be added to cement to make it stick better. Instructions on the can.

Reply to
harryagain

can't get to tiling for a while, for various reasons.=20

shouldn't be used=20

solved this before?

ibed as 'polished concrete'.

Well, because it's not at the level I need it.

Unfortunately that's Google Groups for you - it wraps fine in their windows= but since they 'improved' it, it'a become increasingly irritating.

Reply to
GMM