Blocking emails, texts and phone calls from a pest

Any ideas how to do it?

The person getting the hassle has a btopenworld address for the emails and an Orange PAYG mobile phone for the texts and phone calls.

AFAIK the only way to block the phone calls and texts will depend on the users phone - Orange (EE) will not do it for you. Anyone know if this is true?

Any suggestions welcome (other than throwing a dead badger through the lounge window of the person responsible).

Reply to
ARW

Assuming the btopenworld email is the same as my btinternet.com, setting a filter in the webmail will stop the emails. Not sure about the calls and texts, but found this:

It would be more fun to throw a live badger.

Reply to
Richard

Possibly more apt.

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Make and model of phone would help. Many blocking techniques are phone specific. An Internet search for " how to block calls" & will usually provide the answer.

Reply to
Tim+

The BT openworld address may also be useable from their webmail facility. If so then that also have various filtering and blocking capabilities that can be turned on - and they will reamin live for the mailbox even when the webmail interface is not being used. So you can block senders etc.

Yup some phones have it. Note also some allow personalised ring tones etc so that selected people in the phone book can get their own bespoke ring tone etc. If the phone allows that, add the blocked number to the phone book and allocate a silent ring tone to it.

Reply to
John Rumm

A phone with trucall will block the land line and get rid of the PPI calls.

Reply to
dennis

I have an Android phone on a Vodafone contract and I can set a number to be permanently rejected with a long press on the number and then tapping 'Reject calls'. Perhaps Orange/EE allow the same?

Great. ;-) Thanks for that. Seems to work on my Samsung on Vodaphone PAYG.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its a function of the phone, they call, it rings and it is silently rejected by the phone.

Reply to
dennis

Having investigated Android *text* blocking, I'd warn people to check any apps that claim to do this very carefully. It seems Google broke something between JB and KK, and it's not possible to intercept SMS messages (and therefore block them) anymore. There are scores of "text blocking" apps in the Play Store which have a small footnote to this effect.

MM thinks Linux sucks, he should try Android.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Cheers, I'll get onto that.

Reply to
ARW

Do they get sent back to the sender as bounced? They need to know they are being ingored and that the email address will not work for them.

If you can catch one and keep your fingers! The dead badger through the lounge window was something I did a few years a go with a mate when his Mum's ex was stalking her, this is a little less serious than stalking - and of course I am now far more mature:-).

Reply to
ARW

Donno.

Donno how clever you can get with BT filters but any decent email client ought to be able to do it and with a custom message. Though some thing that looks like a genuine bounce message might be better in this case than a FOAD one.

Being able to reject calls from specified numbers has been a feature of mobiles since the year dot. Of course if the caller witholds their number they can side step that but you could reject withheld calls as well. However rejecting withheld calls opens another can of worms, hospitals, doctors, police etc often use a withheld number when calling.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

OK. I have found a way for you to bounce the emails. Download and install Mailwasher free:

It will take some user interaction to get things as you want them.

Read the FAQ about Bouncing emails - NOTE the warning about bouncing which may annoy your email provider

Warning: If the spammer has used a fake address, then your bounce message will itself be bounced back to the postmaster and you won't receive the bounced bounce email. So please don't use this feature to bounce back spam as most spam is sent from fake sender addresses, so the bounces go nowhere and may annoy your internet service provider.

A long time ago I used Mailwasher to deal with spam. Haven't had the need to since using BT/Yahoo spam blocking, but just installed Mailwasher to make sure it still does what it says on the tin. It did for my experiment of bouncing an email back to one of my disposable addresses.

HTH

Reply to
Richard

I will see what she wants to do when I see her on Sunday.

Doubtful it is a spam address as they started off as friends.

And thanks for your help.

Reply to
ARW

Phil L pretended :

Mailwasher will selectively filter emails, preventing them getting through to your email package. You can also have it email the sender back with a dummy bounce message, making it appear as if the address it was sent to was invalid.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield