BIIIGGG bomb - what's TMH doing about it ?

saying "This is going to gost you mate"

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It would take a lot of work to blow the thing up in one go and I doubt if anyone has done the work. However i think it would make a good place for community service to be done.

Reply to
dennis

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It would take out Sheerness, so not all bad.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Everyone round here knows about it!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Reply to
Bob Eager

seriously in that time and environment, and that makes it less likely to explode in a 'high-order' manner.

Even when fresh, secondary explosives like RDX and HMX require

*substantial* energy imparted into them to go high-order. Like a detonator containing primary explosive ( eg lead azide ), or an EBW detonator. In simple terms, it takes a *big whack* to initiate these explosives, even when fresh.

Trying to set them off with insufficient energy ( like a cigarette lighter with a bunch of RDX in your shoe ) will result in it going low-order ( basically just burning for a bit, before fizzling out. )

I'd say the risk of that boat going high-order are close to nill.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

On the other hand a thousand foot wide column of mud and debris tossed a couple of miles into the air seems rather more significant. I wonder if there's a typo?

Ah. A FIVE metre high wave. Still not exactly devastating, but probably more than you usually get in the Thames. Might be worth setting it off at low tide.

Incidentally there seems to be only one source for the estimated explosion size. They all match too neatly.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I did - a long time ago :-( Must have been in the 70's. We left the Medway one winters night in my "friend's" yacht heading for France (we did that many times). Missed seeing the Mongomery that night - it was dark and a gale blowing :-(

Gave up in the end - it was terrible :-( Turned around and headed back to the Medway. Took this photo on the way back just after dawn :-

Don't do things like that anymore :-)

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

Or, after the sucking noise: "Not much call for that round here, Squire".

Reply to
Tim Streater

If anyone wants it disposing of quickly and cheaply simply post a (simple) map showing were it is at Dale Farm.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I assume they have just added up all the explosive material and assumed it all goes up in ONE BIG BANG! Which isn't very likely, especially after 67 years.

Reply to
djc

BTW, just for the LOLz:

It's been pointed out several times that this group seems to have people who are expert in *anything*.

Just for the record, yes, there is at least one Explosives engineer in the group :-)

And no, sadly, I won't be able to supply 'offcuts' of primacord , or 'spare' detonators or 'unused' shape charges!

I do post under my real name, and don't want a visit from dark-suited individuals. Also my employer has strict accounting procedures for explosive materials!

Reply to
Ron Lowe

No, put rioters there, and they would steal the useful stuff and leave everything else behind.

Reply to
Davey

Pikeys, they would steal the metal and melt it down.

Reply to
dennis

Well, that would at least get rid of the shipping hazard.

Reply to
Davey

What's a "Sheerness"?

Reply to