Baxi Bermuda 552

My 28 year old back boiler has just developed a water leak from the heat exchanger.

Can anybody help in advising if it is likely to be a simple gasket change or the exchanger itself. If it is the exchanger is it worth it based on the boilers age?

The boiler has been very reliable since I fitted all those years ago.

Many thanks Keith

Reply to
Keith R

Can you run it with the gas fire removed, and actually see where it's leaking?

The heat exchanger is a fairly heavy cast iron affair, so I'd be surprised if it had rusted through. It's made of several bits bolted together, with gaskets in between - so a gasket failure is a likely candidate.

Having said that, I wouldn't rate your chances of dismantling it non-destructively after 28 years. Nor, unfortunately, would I rate your chances of being able to buy a new one - unless you can find a good used one at a scrappy.

Reply to
Roger Mills

It is junk because of it's age, inefficiency and it is self defeating because it draws (cold) combustion air into the room. Getting a new condensing, room sealed, wall hung boiler will likely cut gas bills by nearly 50%

Reply to
harry

I'm surprised you know anything about boilers since, with all your solar panels, you presumably have no need of such crude devices!

To the OP: If you can't easily find and cure the leak, it may well be time to consider replacing the boiler. If you like the Bermudu concept, there is now a condensing version which (apparently) meets the latest efficiency requirements.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I have no need for central heating now as I have a solar passive house.

But in days gone by I had a CORGI certificate because of the gas fitters I had working for me. Mostly but not entirely industrial boilers.

Reply to
harry

Just looked it up in the SEBUK database

(I would post a direct link but they hide those). Gawd is that a crap boiler SAP 2009 Annual effciency of 65%...

A decent condensing modern boiler will certainly cut the gas bill noticeably. Installing a modern boiler might be more fun as that Baxi is a back boiler and modern boilers tend to require being mounted on an external wall. I don't know if you can get a condensing back boiler, that will be happy with presumably a normal height flue attached, even fitting the condensate drain might be fun...

As a stop gap I wonder of some rad weld added to the primary would stop the leak whilst the research/planning for the replacement is carried out.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice