bathroom tips

wondered if someone could give me some advice on the bathroom

from old cistern overflow waste pipe which the plasterer informed me i no longer needed, after plastering the walls! the hole goes right through to a cupboard, how best to fill this??

?pic=3D20gmo05&s=3D4currently just have toilet basin, removed sink and cistern, bath and shower still in place and in use the various pipes some i have cut off and fitted iso valves to, new suite will be in the same position, is there anything i should do with the pipe work before trying to fit a new suite? any ideas on boxing in the piping? i looked into cupboards under the sink and a boxed in toilet but the price is a lot more than a standard =A3200 suite.

old radiator, plan to get a towel rad, so the pipes will need to be closer together, is this something i can do quite easily?

thanks for all comments

Reply to
benpost

It's not clear from the pic whether it's a solid wall or a stud partition covered in plasterboard. If solid, stuff some newspaper in to within about an inch of the surface and then fill what's left with Pollyfilla, and smooth off when set. If hollow, you need to wangle a strip of wood - a bit longer that the hole diameter through the hole, with Gripfill on the ends and a bit of string in the middle. Pull on the string so that the Gripfill sticks the wood to the back of the plasterboard, covering the hole. Once stuck firmly, fill with Pollyfilla, as above.

It's easy enough to box in pipework like that, using 1 x 1 battens on the wall and floor, and plywood or MDF for the upright and top. Paint or tile it when complete.

Depends on your plumbing skills - but yes, in principle. You'll need to shorten the pipe which goes to the RHS - or lengthen the one on the LHS - or both. Before cutting the pipes you'll need to partially drain the system such that nothing comes out when you open each of the valves in turn.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I agree with Roger's reply; but what's the horizontal pipework with the stopcock doing halfway up the wall?

Can't that be dropped down to the level of the other pipework near the ground to get it out of the way?

David

Reply to
Lobster

This looks similar to my bathroom. I have boxed in the pipes up to the height of the bath - so there is a narrow ledge about 3" wide which runs from the bath along to the toilet, under the sink (and behind the sink pedestal). When it comes along to meet the toilet, I profiled the woodwork to fit nicley around the cistern. The whole lot was then tiled over using the same tiles I have on the walls.

The ledge is handy for storing things on, and shaft of the shut-off valves prortudes from the boxed-in part a few inches from the floor.

Mark,

Reply to
mark.hannah

thanks for the replies, the wall is solid construction so your newspaper tip i will try. thanks roger. the pipework i can do whatever needs doing, yeah i thought that pipe could be moved down with the others, i think i'll need to chisel out some of the wall for the shower pipes as currently they just hang across the wall, so would not work with a shower screen, plus dont look good like that. anyone know if those plastic shower pipes can just be put in the wall or do they need any more protection against the sand/cement and plastering. i like the ledge idea, people keep suggesting to me get built in cupboards for the sink and wc but the cost is way too far above a basic suite. the ledge / boxing sounds ideal as i dont have a lot of stuff anyway to store. thanks again i'll start work on it next weekend before my week off !

Reply to
benpost

so to fill the hole scrumple up a sheet or two of newspaper then fill on top. would expanding foam be any better, as it might be more solid?

Reply to
benpost

Whatever you have lying around. I used some spare Rockwool insulation to fill an old ventilation grill the other day. A load of scrunched up plastic bags? Polystyrene packaging from your latest tv?

Reply to
stuart noble