Barn conversion - how deep should the footings be.....?

Page 2 of 5

reload reality_matrix -persona IMM -param real_world >/dev/null.

Grunff wrote:

That's called an apprentice.

LOL, so funny!

He's busy at the moment - he's been despatched to get a bucket of air, and when he's finished that he's got to go get some hob-nailed screws ;)
PoP

That is what they did to London Bridge and sent it to the USA.

And then still puzzled because it hadn't any towers...
--
*Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment *

Then many others must be as this quite common, depending on the LA.

You could number them or just take them down and clad the new building with the old stone in any order using limestone cement.

IMM wrote:

There is a whole world of difference between the two ideas you present in that statement.
The number of stones making up a 2' thick barn wall is hugely greater than the number of stones you need to clad a wall with a single layer - like 5 times greater.
If you did embark on the lunacy of manually dismantling a wall stone by stone and numbering the stones, just so that you can rebuild it in the same pattern, it would take a team of several people several weeks. Barns are just not knocked down this way, ever.
--
Grunff

They are. I have seen a few. The best approach by far. A new building with an old stone cladded outer. Never thought of it did you?

Thanks all for all the posts - they are so full of information - for a newbie like me!
Nice to see all the differing opinions as well - when I sit down with my structural engineer I'll bring all these options to the table....
Thanks again
Si
Regards, Simon http://www.thehawthornes.org

Get in high levels of insulation otherwise it will cost a fortune to heat. Who wants to be in their 70s and foot massive fuel bills. BY the time you are in your 70s fuel price will have risen, so it would be even more to keep warm.

Here is post from Rick Dipper on hs barn

Underpin plant in steel pillars to hold roof rebuild
I am choosing rebuild, in block clad with orignal stone. This also resolves issues with insulation values, and water from the soil that in places is 6 foot up the walls. <<<<
This is quite a common way to do it. Personally I would have gone SIP panels or timber frame with superinsulation values, and then clad with the stone.

IMM wrote:

Do you understand *anything* I post?!?
There's nothing wrong at all with that approach - but this isn't the same as taking down a building stone-by-stone while numbering them, then putting it back up in the same order on newly laid foundations.
--
Grunff

He is using "original stone".

IMM wrote:

Numbered????? No.
--
Grunff

If he wants exactly the same exterior appearance yes. If not then put them anywhere. Duh!

if you'd actually mentioned that. i.e. : "If you want the barn to have the same external appearance then best take down all the walls if stone. Number the stones. build a nice strong foundation slab . . . etc."
You seem to have assumed that's what the OP wanted without him actually mentioning the fact.
Cheers,
John

That is what I said, which IS the best approach.

I did not know he had a brick barn. I did not assume he had a stone barn.

O right, so numbered demolition works for both? I think you need help IMM. Boatloads of it. Are you one of these guys who drills holes in veroboard? Or paints those pretty coloured bands on resistors? Did you work at Bletchley Park?

David, Andy, stop being silly. How exciting of you to do such a thing.