Back home with Q for Ed Sirett

OK, we're back from the Essex Badlands and I've come across the word 'Sirret' with no apparent link to central heating ...

Of course I could be wrong, the wine was flowing freely, but someone showed me something which she said was 'sirret'.

Does anyone know what it was?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Is that a vital ingredient of dumplings/syrup duff/steak&kidney pud?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Gibson

Or maybe stuff I used to get dosed with as a kid

Sirret of Figs . :-)) Bleurgh !!! Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

I loved Syrup of Figs :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ah but that might be sirret in Essix speke?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Gibson

Apparently (according to one of my aunts) Sirett is a Scandinavian form of the name Sigfried. Sirret is a common mispelling of my name.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

It might have been Sirett ... I didn't see it written and have forgotten how she said it ws spelt!

No, this was a plant, with an edible root.

I tasted some of the root and it was similar to radish. Radishes are the only vegetables I don't like ... :-)

Thanks anyway, I wondered if - no I assumed that - you'd know.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

: > > OK, we're back from the Essex Badlands and I've come across the word : > > 'Sirret' with no apparent link to central heating ... : > >

: > > Of course I could be wrong, the wine was flowing freely, but someone : showed : > > me something which she said was 'sirret'. : : It might have been Sirett ... I didn't see it written and have forgotten how : she said it ws spelt! : > >

: > Apparently (according to one of my aunts) Sirett is a Scandinavian form of : > the name Sigfried. : > Sirret is a common mispelling of my name. : : No, this was a plant, with an edible root. : : I tasted some of the root and it was similar to radish. Radishes are the : only vegetables I don't like ... :-) : : Thanks anyway, I wondered if - no I assumed that - you'd know. : : Mary : :

It's not Skirret is it Mary?

J.Milton.Hayes

Could well be, I'm not the authority and the person who bought the plant might have misheard or might even have been misinformed. I was just reminded of Ed :-)

I'll have a look at the link and let you know.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

After looking I suspect that it could well be, it was bought from a Tudor garden - but I don't remember the look of the leaves.

That was very interesting, thank you.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Since you asked....

"Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)" Skirret Skir"ret, n. A corrupted form equivalent to sugarwort. (Bot.) An umbelliferous plant (Sium, or Pimpinella, Sisarum). It is a native of Asia, but has been long cultivated in Europe for its edible clustered tuberous roots, which are very sweet.

Looks like I'm in the clear.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

: > It's not Skirret is it Mary? : : After looking I suspect that it could well be, it was bought from a Tudor : garden - but I don't remember the look of the leaves. : : That was very interesting, thank you. : : Mary : >

: >

Apparently, it's supposed to taste like a cross between a carrot & parsnip with a slight nutty flavour!

Dunno whether it was the nutty part that reminded you of Ed ;-)

Reply to
J.Milton.Hayes

the cure, how did they get phlegm in there in the first place?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

I wasn't accusing you of anything nasty, just wondered if you knew ...

It just goes to show that even in the C16th I remember you :-)))

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

To me it tasted like mild radish, not at all sweet or nutty.

No. It was the not sweet part ;-)

I don't like radish. I do like Ed.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It's not the phlegm that you're thinking of ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Go on then (I'm going to regret this -but I have to know...) what was I thinking of then?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Cannibalistic tendencies??

Regards Capitol