B&D scorpion saw, any good? (2023 Update)

I can get one of these reduced at Argos, but before I buy I would like some opinions on the saw.

Regards

Reply to
newman

I used mine recently to cut the tops off 4x4 fence posts, managed to pick it up months ago at B&Q for £27, I found it brilliant for the fence posts, I've not used it since then. It's certainly worth buying if you can get a good deal on it...

Reply to
Craig

It's a piece of junk.

I bought one from B&Q. It jammed and I returned it

The second started spouting smoke from the motor after a few minutes running. I returned it, obtained a refund and a £15 voucher.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I've had one for some considerable time, and I would certainly agree with the above. Ok for about the first 10 minutes of use.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Would it be any use as a boat anchor, or isn't it nearly heavy enough?

Reply to
Paul C. Dickie

They're great. Really useful for cutting firewood, less chance of injury than chainsaw or sawbench and they work for just long enough to convince you to buy a Bosch replacement instead after they've broken.

Some seem to eat motors. Mine ate its crankshaft bearing.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The B&D is a waste of time. Give a wide berth. Wickes sell a version of one. Try that.

Reply to
IMM

Of limited use. If the price is right, and you've the space, ok. But don't expect it to *replace* any hand saw in the way many power tools do.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's a real pity because the concept is good in terms of the different blades and even the balance of the machine. It's let down by poor mechanics and poor quality control AFAICS.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

It will be £15, is it worth it?

Regards

Reply to
newman

To be fair, no.

Someone bought me one a few years ago, which I have attempted to use for a variety of tasks. It is not really that good at any of them.

The stroke length is too short, it vibrates to much, the mechanism is pretty flimsy, it does not take standard reciprocating saw blades and the proprietary blades come in a much smaller range. The trigger makes you hand hurt after prolonged usage, it has daft interlocks that are a pain and also require too much force to operate. In jigsaw mode it is outclassed by even the naffest jigsaw. In fact if you want one I will gladly post you mine if you pay the postage! To give it credit the variable speed control is OK though.

(I gave up and bought one of the Axminster "White" reciprocating saws. That is actually quite useful)

Reply to
John Rumm

The huge reduction should tell you something.

It's a bit like buying a poor quality razor - the cost of blades will quickly exceed the cost of the razor.

I'd skip it.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Is there a Bosch alternative other than the £200 Tyrannosaw? I've only seen standard reciprocating saws which presumably don't give such a good cut as a saw with a deeper, rigid blade.

Reply to
mike

Must be - I sure didn't spend that much. I'm not sure what model it is - I gave it to my Dad to cut firewood, instead of his evil table saw.

The Axminster "white" one is probably worth a look too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Its rubbish, and what would you use it for anyway? It's no replacement for a handsaw nor for a jigsaw it's OK for roughing out a cut or for cutting firewood bu there are better alternatives around.

If you have a real need for a reciprocating saw I can reommend the B&Q PoeerPro kit, best bought as the combination of circulaw saw, reciprocating saw and drill. Cheap, cheerful and actually works better than the Black & Decker.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Wrecks ?

Reply to
raden

how odd. Mine (prev model before current) came from B&Q heavily price reduced.

Not been any trouble at all, though I haven't used it all that much as I have various other saws. Nor has it been used for an extended time. But as a sabre saw able to reach into difficult positions it is better & a more directionally stable cut than a jigsaw. The wide woodcutting blade is especially useful when you want to cut, eg a noggin, off flush with a joist. Also been removing old CH pipes between joists with it recently: it has saved a few raw knuckles that I'm sure I would have got from contorting with a hacksaw.

Snags are

unique expensive blades only 3 blade designs

OTOH I haven't tried any of the competing sabre saws, but I haven't seen any of those with the broad woodsaw blade which I like.

Reply to
jim_in_sussex

Its not even that much good for that. The blades available all tend to be too finer tooth, and the stroke length is too short. So cutting is relatively slow.

Reply to
John Rumm

had one for years pallette trees more pallets plastic more trees and pallets. 5"x5" chunks if wood 14yrs on judt going to by a new blade..the first one ever

Reply to
nan

Even when you bought it this thread was four years old.

Reply to
aaa