Axminster wood turning lathe bits

Hi

I have been given an axminister lathe 'attachment' for fitting with an electric drill and some woodworking tools

It is missing the drive centre and face plate

I have asked the guy if he can find them (he is clearing a relatives garage)

Failing that if I can get replacements for pennies it may be worth running up just to try a bit of turning

Axminster don't do the spares for such cheap kit any ideas how to get or make the bits?

Do they just fit in the chuck or does the chuck come off and they screw in?

if the former then making something up looks possible

regards

Reply to
TMC

These things are rubbish.

A spade bit will work as a lash-up drive centre, although you might need to sit it in a saw kerf to get a good start. Ideally shorten it, and also re-grind the edge angles to make them more acute: more of a drive spike & less of a chisel-edge drill.

You don't need a faceplate. These lathe attachment things are bad enough for between-centres spinlde turning (grain lengthways). They're utterly useless for faceplate work (crossways grain).

Reply to
Andy Dingley