Auto loft latch release

Hi

In order to make the most of my new loft ladder I have just converted my loft hatch lid to a hinged drop down as opposed to an unhinged push up. It is a neat fit and will stay up by friction alone however I dont want it swinging down and catching me or anyone else unawares once it has been used a few times so I purchased this auto loft latch

although it comes with detailed fitting instructions it does not actually explain how the latch releases again once the door is closed... and for the life of me I cannot see how pushing the door/latch farther in to the catch will release it again at this does nothing when I try it (unfitted to the loft). Can anyone here explain or assure me I wont be locked out of my loft forever once I have fitted this?

Ta

Freddie

Reply to
Fat Freddie

you should be able to test the latch in your hands if this is not working maybe its faulty?

Reply to
Vass

No you wont be locked out. The first time it catches, the next push up releases it. They can be a little unreliable and it's worth just being sure it's held securely, before walking away, but they work OK.

Reply to
Andy Cap

yes, but it's quite fiddly to do so...

Reply to
Lobster

These latches are brilliant. I have used them in my last three houses.

HOWEVER, before fitting it you MUST sand the hatch so there is no remaining friction. The latch will only work properly if it is the only thing holding up the hatch door. If friction remains, you will have problems operating the latch.

Reply to
Bruce

Does it work similarly to the way a memory card slots in to a digital camera .Push in to hold it in and push again to spring it out so you can remove it . Whats wrong with the normal latch you turn using a pole with a hook on ?

Reply to
the realfictitious

Vass, Lobster yup this was what is throwing me, I just cant get the catch to release while putting them together by hand. It catches ok but wont release once I have it held against a solid object (like the wall)? its like the catch has to move out past where the back of it would be up against the edge of the hatch ??? might try it out on an old cupboard door first

Cheers Bruce The hatch door actually has to go up slightly past level for the friction to hold it so i should be alright if i fit the latch at the correct point.

Realfictitious yes i guess it's the same action as a memory card slot i just couldn't get it to work while holding it in my hands.

Whats wrong with the normal latch you turn using a pole with a hook on?

Is this homemade from a full size door latch? or a specific loft door latch (if it is I didn't see one with a hook?)

Thanks for the replies. I'll fit it tomorrow.

Cheers

Fat Freddie

Reply to
Fat Freddie

Why not have a 2nd person in the loft with a torch and screwdriver, just in case?

Reply to
Mat C

Can I also add that be very careful when climbing into or climbing down from the loft. Those catches, and their placement within the hatch means they are lethal and can easily remove big chunks of flesh from the lower back - it hurts like hell!

I've not converted my current loft hatch but when I do I'd much sooner use a couple of super strength magnets and a strap of woven packing tape.

Reply to
Mike