Asphalt drive surface needs binding.

I have an asphalt drive which has served well for about 15 years or so. It is still intact, apart from a couple of small cracks developing in low load areas. Easy to repair and no problem.

Where I am troubled is the fact that the surface starting to break up very slightly. What I mean is that there are a few small chippings which are regularly being tracked into the house. SWMBO is fed up with the extra hoovering.

I have seen several makes of drive seal and/or asphalt repair materials which amount to a paint that binds the top surface. I am tempted to try one and think that it should be successful if care is taken over the preperation, and the product is fit for purpose.

My questions are, have any of you chaps experience of these products that you would be willing to share? Is there one you would recommend? Should I go for a solvent based bitumen material, or one of the water based resin types?

Thanks Al.

Reply to
BigAlinSK

What has happened is hat the original mix of asphalt had insufficient bitumen. Or it was insufficiently rolled. Water and frost have broken up the surface. All you can do, short of replacement, is to "seal" the surface. Basically it's bitumen with a solvent to glue the surface together. How well it works depends on the original job. If it's only pedestrian traffic, it will likely be fine. Vehicles could be a bit more "iffy". No-one can say.

Reply to
harry

Thanks Harry, I know there are many variables to ponder. What I was hoping for was if anyone had advice regarding specific compounds. i.e. Renotex vs Tarmaseal vs Drive Seal. I spoke to the guy at Renotex on the phone. His advice was to buy the most expensive stuff. No surprise there then. Al.

Reply to
BigAlinSK

It's all bitumen.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You might conduct an experiment. Try some bitumous paint on a small area and see how you go on.

Reply to
harry