are three phase machines any safer than single phase?

Are they going to have to buy in 3-phase soldering irons, angle grinders, kettles & vacuum cleaners?

Something askew there. I could imagine that a single phase cabling installation being over-stretched by having many 1ph machines on it but, contrarily, I'm fairly sure there must be 1ph machines happily in factories with 3ph plugs on them.

Reply to
Scott M

In a slightly difffferent context and H&E person wanted Romeo to wear a climbing harness when he came down from Juliet's balcony.

Reply to
charles

Was a "consultant" called in to do the H and S inspection who just "by chance" happens to be an employee of a company supplying 3 phase machines? :-)

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

Does that mean my kitchen, that contains several single-phase devices, is unsafe? OK so it's not a commercial operation, but there must be many places such as restaurants, fast-food outlets etc etc that are commercial and only use single phase cookers, coffee machines, meat slicers etc.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

No air bag? They got off lightly.

Reply to
GB

Like the photographer at a wedding I attended.

Graham.

Was the camera tied on?

Reply to
Clive George

In article , Graham. scribeth thus

Should hope her camera was on a retaining strap;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

The only reason I can think of is something like the supply voltage to hand tools. I suppose they could use 110v 3-phase, I wouldn't like to buy the transformer though...

They use a 55-0-55 transformer with the centre tap earthed for powering single-phase 110v drills, grinders etc. on outdoor sites. Could that be the case here?

Apart from that there's no difference in safety between single and 3- phase motors. They use identical insulation on the windings (or at least they used to).

Reply to
mick

I like that one!

:-)

Reply to
newshound

I saw a good one in a charity shop last week. An ancient desk lamp had a PAT sticker duly affixed to its 13A plug. The plug was of similar antiquity and (you're ahead of me here I bet) did not have shrouded pins.

Reply to
Graham.

I would reject the tester's findings. Single phase is just not a description of an unacceptable risk.

I've seen a PAT sticker on speaker wire used as a mains lead. I assume someone bought a tester but had no clue beyond that.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Has somebody got this mixed up with the recommendation for three phase lighting of fixed speed machines, to combat the strobe effect?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Is that the People's Palace?