are purlins shared by semis?

Are the purlins in a pair of semis all in one piece, i.e. continuous through the party wall? I ask because I think my neighbour has a train set in his loft, and the slight noise / vibration can be heard in mine. It is not a problem, just curious!

Reply to
Zipadee Doodar

Doubt it. They'd have to come from a very tall tree! Mine are in 2 lengths - supported in the middle where they join - just in a single house.

Reply to
Set Square

I'd hope not, as it would present a fire path. Also a large chunk of timber, so not economical.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I expect both purlins sit side by side on the common wall.

Reply to
Mike

I'll bet it varies area to area with old houses. Don't some terraces 'oop north' have common roof voids? Or was Coronation Street wrong? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed they do. Fire and security hazard or what.

Reply to
Mike

The one up and down (with attic and cellar) we lived in was a C19th terrace house but the roof void was separated by walls.

However, the accessible bit at the bottom of the pitch of the roof was continuous along the block of floor houses.

Fire?

We were so poor ... etc.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That's exactly what I was intending to do, half one half of the board fixed to the purlin.

Kevin

Reply to
kajr

Loads did, north and south. Why would the builders build a wall when they didnt need to? Now most have been walled, but still many arent. Hence the recent nwes story of a group of illegal immigrants caught moving in to the entire loft space of a whole terrace!

NT

Reply to
bigcat

The purlins in our loft (1900's) overlap between adjoining lofts:-

Set Square says, doubt it would be a single span across two properties though.

Andy

Reply to
Pecanfan

They aren't in my 1895 house, but they are in contact where they pass through the party wall, as they both go right through. However, I doubt the perlins would transmit much noise -- there are smaller timbers doing the same thing which are fixed to the tops of the ceiling joists in mine, and I would be more likely to suspect them.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 09:24:58 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)" strung together this:

They certainly do, it's confused me once or twice when trying to get above a particular in a very large odd shaped loft. I usually twig that something's amiss when I come across a second loft hatch with the decor the other side of it bearing no resemblance to anything in the property I'm working in!

Reply to
Lurch

On 7 Feb 2005 04:23:39 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@mwfree.net strung together this:

Sorry, what are you intending to do?

Reply to
Lurch

I'm one of the trustees of such a place in N17. The roof voids were common to several houses I have isolated ours by building a aircrete block wall - the purlin still goes right through though.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

In my first house which was in Battersea, I woke up one Sunday morning to find water dripping through the bedroom ceiling, went up into the loft to find the next door neighbours lead pipe leading to their water tank had a pin hole and was spurting a small water fountain onto my ceiling.

There was only a firewall every 3 houses in that street for some reason, so down south as well.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark

"Ed Sirett" wrote | > ... Don't some terraces 'oop | > north' have common roof voids? | I'm one of the trustees of such a place in N17.

N17 may be north, but it isn't 'oop north' :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I suppose I was trying to say that common roof voids were not confined to 'oop north'.

However the arrangement is uncommon round here and this was one of the first council houses ever built and one of the first houses built since 1666 without a fire break adjoining properties.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Of course not. There are common people in the south :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No. That starts just above Hatfield, doesn't it ? :-)

Reply to
Mike

Always used to be Watford but people who think they're being clever now say Watford Gap.

I think it starts at the river.

The river Aire.

Mary

Reply to