are mains pressure tanks good for showers

Hi All,

I was wondering if a Megaflo / Heatrea sadia type mains pressure cylinder would be suitable for my two bathroom two shower house build. Its an old barn in the Scottish borders and I plan to use an oil boiler for heating and water heating. Any reccomendations for diy installation would be good as well as a reccomended supplier.

thanks

jim ascroft

Reply to
emma wykes

Yes, or a thermal store type (e.g. Pandora). Google this group for many previous discussions.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Provided your mains water supply is good enough to supply enough water, then a mains pressure cylinder would provide excellent performance. However, as DIY installation is indicated, you may prefer to install a heat bank instead. These offer similar performance, but are much easier to install, as their inherent safety reduces the need for lots of safety equipment. Prices are similar.

I have a DPS Pandora heat bank which I'm very happy with, but there are many other suppliers. Ensure you choose a type with a plate heat exchanger, rather than an immersed coil for DHW operation.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I LURVE my mains pressure HW system. Capable, even with a softener in, of feeding two showers simultaneously at very decent pressure.

Never tried three...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, I have a 300l OSO tank feeding 4 showers. Great pressure even with all

4 running together.
Reply to
TonyK

I moved from a flat with mains pressure to a house with gravity/pumped water & I wouldn't want a mains cylinder there 'cos the mains pressure/flow just isn't up to it.

Reply to
adder

Mine seems to be about 2.5-3bar.

The water tower that feeds us is about 50ft higher than we are, and the tower itself must be a good 30ft tall. 80feet = 2.5bar.

I would say if you have >2bar, you are into mains pressure rather than pumped.

Provided you can install decent 22/28mm main feeds etc.

What pressure do you measure on the mains?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Flow is more important than pressure, though. Once you're past 1 bar, the shower will be fine, provided enough water goes through it. Admitedly, the higher the pressure, the more likely the flow rate can be made to be reasonable.

2.5 bar indicates that the main in the street is probably acceptable, but says nothing about the branch to your house, or the pipework within it.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle