Architect fees

I realise this a a bit of a "how long is a piece of string?" questions but I'm looking for very rough ballpark figures for preparing drawings for a planning application and a building warrant.

We're planning on taking down part of the back wall of our house (with steelwork to hold up the upstairs) and an internal dividing wall to enlarge our existing kitchen & dining room into one large kitchen/dinning/sunlounge. There will also be an extention to the back of the integral garage to form a utility room.

(See

far as I am aware, this work doesn't require a planning permit because of its size in relation to existing floor area. We're also planning on an extention to an existing dormer to create a larger en-suite bathroom upstairs. This *will* require a planning application.

We've just had a rather eye-watering estimate from the architects but for all I know, it may be the going rate.

They've quoted a fee for submitting the planning application (£1000), securing planning approval (£450), submitting building application (more detailed drawings needed - £3250) and securing a building warrant (£500). Prices exclusive of VAT, application fees, structural engineers charges etc.

I've no previous experience of the planning process and costs etc. I'm just a bit wary of accepting the first figure. I'm also unclear about the charges for "securing" the planning approval and building warrant. I would have though that once applied for, there shouldn't be further fees for securing them but then I know nothing about the process.

I'm really just after comments along the line of "J*sus wept! You'ree being fleeced", "Pricey, but probably fair" or "a bargain, go for it".

If it makes any difference, I live in Scotland.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

If you employed an "architectural technician" or somesuch just for the drawings, and did the rest yourself, you would save a packet. Employing a qualified "architect" is often not required, unless you want advice about layout etc. And if you did your own drawings ... Do the fees include the building control initial costs ? Do the fees include structural engineers report etc ? I guess the fees include re-submission contingency if there is a problem with the council etc. It certainly sounds a lot for drawings and a few phone calls to the council, but I've no idea of the going rate. I decided not to use an architect for a house extension in the end. I learnt a lot of useful stuff in the process, but I was not pushed for time ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

As someone else has said, if you know what you want and don't need your requirements to be analysed, and to be presented with lots of design options, find a good architectural technician rather than an architect. It's about 13 years since I employed one to do a similar sized job, and I think (from memory) that I paid him about £300 for the lot - including planning and building regs drawings, and filling in all the relevant application forms.

You're likely to need a structural engineer too - to do the calculations for the steelwork to be included in the building regs application.

[My experience is in England - and may not apply exactly to Scotland, but should be similar.]
Reply to
Roger Mills

I concur with the archtectural technician suggestion. Quite a few years since I did an extension but the first extension I used an architectural technician to do the drawings. If you know what you want that's enough. The next project I did my own drawings but got a structural report through

by the proposed charges for "securing" approvals. For your own drawing perhaps but why should a professional submission not work first time.

You are unlikely to get on Grand Designs if you do not use an architect, however you will more likely keep close to budget.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

All sounds a bit steep to me...

Last time I had detailed drawings done, plus calculations for a building notice (full plans submittal) it cost me about £570 all in. The council charged a further £284 for processing the plans etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Last time I had occasion to be fleeced by an architect, I don't recall there being a specific mention of "securing approval" but he did go for an informal meeting with the council planner (which I also attended) and there was a certain amount of discussion as to what aspects of our draft plans would and would not be likely to get past the planning committee, thereby enabling the architect to tailor them accordingly - I daresay that's the sort of thing that is meant.

Were I a more cynical fellow, then from what I now know of how such matters are routinely decided in local government, then I might suggest that the term 'securing approval' has a decidedly dodgy-sounding ring to it - but were that the case, then I imagine the fee would be in excess of £450...

David

Reply to
Lobster

That would depend on how much securing of approvals the architect does, perhaps he gets a good bulk discount from the council :)

Reply to
cucumber

Hi Tim, we were as you say fleeced some 10 years ago by a Chartered Architect when our extension then priced at £28,000 cost us almost £2400 in his fees inc structural engineer for roof. -we live in Scotland too. Admittedly we were self building our two story extension so we requested him to oversee the project and advise us where necessary. In our case our 'technician' passed away unfortunately early on and the preparatory drawings passed over to the architect. If I recall correctly chartered architects work on a fee of 9 to 13% building cost.

Gio

Reply to
Gio

This was the opening gambit of the architect that we used last year for our extension - pretty serious money on a £100k+ project... We agreed on around £3k in the end, and he was worth every penny - without a doubt the most underpaid professional in the whole process IMHO. Very good ideas, advice, tons of drawings (+ corrections, etc), and good advice during the project.

We are in Glasgow, and if you want his name then please contact me with your details here.

Reply to
JoeJoe

We got an "estimate" for around £3000 from an architect to design our two storey extension. However we used an Architectural Technician who did the whole thing for a fixed price of around £500 (+£100 for structural engineer). This included 2 redesigns to keep the planning department happy.

This was around two-three years ago.

We did know someone else who used an architect for their extension and the final fee was way above the estimate. However they did do much of the project management - so you pays your money and takes your choice.

Mark.

Reply to
Mark

I did the whole planning application myself with a color plotter and Corel Draw..No need for more than that.

The architect went through a couple of evolutions on a 'pay for our time basis' and charged about 2 grand. That was for working drawings to building regs.

However the so called project manager he recommended cost me a bloody fortune. Complete tosser.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher