Any terrorists about?

Ha!

Mombasa - Nairobi

All flights from Malindi to Nairobi cancelled at zero notice, so ancient taxis down the coast to Mombasa. Hundreds and hundreds of stranded tourists there, DC9 doing a shuttle - empty down to Mombasa, fill up, flies back to Nairobi. Rinse and repeat for most of the day. Finally got forward enough in the Q for our turn, but all ground staff ignored in big rush of people to the plane to get on. Got on, got seats, but some standing had to be booted off before we could leave.

Reply to
Tim Streater

On 15/07/2014 12:13, Tim Watts wrote: ...

Fairly standard for any UK airport in the 1960s. The only check anybody made was your passport and there was never any queue. On Dan Air, in the very early 1960s when he was still flying Dakotas, you carried your own bag out to the aircraft and handed it to the stewardess, who put it in a compartment at the back.

Reply to
Nightjar

Indeed - and for all the movie plot terrorist attacks and techniques, the saving grace is that there are very very few actual terrorists out there. Our perception of the risk is skewed by the events being rare, newsworthy, and outside of our control - never a good combination for assessing risk.

Reply to
John Rumm

At the Eurotunnel terminal, traffic is held back short of the search area and only allowed to proceed when the exit beyond the search area is clear. The actual search area is well off to one side of the road. It would need to be a very large bomb to take out more than the search staff. IME, they rely far more on speaking to the car occupants than actually searching the car.

Reply to
Nightjar

Nah.

It's so the Security personnel can have a go at Angry Birds in order to pass the time.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Best airport? Southampton and Newcastle.

Get to airport, walk over and shake hands with pilot and co-pilot, walk out to aircraft, taxi and take-off. Reverse just as good.

A huge advantage having a company aircraft...

Riga pretty good about 10 years ago.

Dubai excellent around 1992 - land, baggage available as soon as I got to the terminal, straight through to waiting taxi. Speed was limited by how fast I could walk.

Reply to
polygonum

Security kabuki.

Reply to
Huge

And grossly exaggerated by scummy politicians who want to rail-road through shitty "surveillance state" legislation.

Reply to
Huge

And so they should be.

Reply to
Huge

And I think you're an idiot.

Reply to
Huge

about 20 years ago.

2pm Telephone booking for flight London City to Paris 2:20 got taxi at Holborn 2:50 arrive LCY, check-in, slight delay while payment processd straight out to plane on tarmac by passing usual process 3pm onto plane, door closes behind and we are off. I think there were only two other passengers on that flight.
Reply to
djc

That doesn't surprise me despite the routing being non direct and usually via overhead Birmingham around the airport / NEC

London Manchester was a regular trip a few years ago. 15 mins taxi food literally thrown at passengers during climb, level for 30 secs, descend, trays collected, land, another 10 minute taxi. Total time in the air was less than 20 mins if it was a straight in approach to London at a quieter time of day.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Also picking red hot shrapnel out of your flesh is a bit difficult with no arms

Reply to
The Other Mike

It's a risible test and childishly simple to circumvent. Someone at the home office needs their head kicked in.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Well put, sir! The truth is that 'they' are the ones who need watching....very closely indeed.... 24/7....

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

No, I need my head *examined* - the bloke at the HO needs his kicked in.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yep, I remember that, as recently as the mid-90s. Used to fly to Dublin a couple of times a year. Home-bus-plane-taxi-B+B in 2 hours

Reply to
RJH

Very east to say that when you're not the one who would have to carry the can.

Reply to
bert

That is why you need politicians that actually have the balls to respond to those cries of "the government must do something" with a firm "no, in this circumstance doing nothing (or doing what we are already doing) is actually better" when that is a more appropriate response.

Reply to
John Rumm

Reminds me of the politician's syllogism from Peter Jay's "Yes Minister".

Something must be done. This is "something". Therefore it must be done.

However in *this* case it sounds to me much more like an intelligence-led issue, with demonstrating functionality as quite a reasonable test. Bearing in mind that the item will already have been through x-ray, quite possibly with pattern matching software.

Reply to
newshound