any roofers about ? strip and relay vs.new duracem slates

question for any roofers:

roughly how much is a strip & relay compared to replacement with duracem ?

straightforward three bed terrace, 1 valley, 2 chimneys (flashing & soakers)

anyone have an idea how much ?

tia

RT

Reply to
R Taylor

Would this not depend on the type and condition of the existing roof covering?

Reply to
Rob Morley

trad welsh slate and having read through this groups archive I've learned that I ought to stick with them and if I go for a strip and relay I'll end up with about 80% of them as reusable slates.

ideally, I'd get up there and do it myself but I just don't have the time to do a whole roof and I really don't have the skills to do the leadwork.

The roof timbers are ok, I need to know (ball park figures) how much roofers charge for scaffold + strip / relay, felting + vents, 2.4m of code 5 valley and

2 chimney flashings.

as it stands, the lead valley + timbers need replacing along with about half a dozen laths but whilst the scaffolds up I may as well get the chimney flashing done and if I'm having all that done I'm very tempted to get the whole roof sorted.

what I need is a tame roofer to advise me on what they would charge per item if they were on pricework.

it's a long shot but if this isn't the place to find out, where is ? :-)

RT

Reply to
R Taylor

Do you know how you can tell?

When I get my loft conversion, I'll have a dormer extension on the rear, which will free up a considerable number of slates to relay the front. I would only need about 50% of the slates to be good, then.

The problem is that they all look pretty shagged to me. However, maybe what I see as being unacceptable might be considered normal by a roofer.

The whole lot needs relaying anyway, as I need to get breathable membrane and an unventilated fully insulated between and under rafters system in.

If they do need replacing, I'm afraid it is artificial slate, as the houses either side have this, so I can't really justify new Welsh slate as it would stand out somewhat.

I had to flash my conservatory and found working with lead to be really quite easy yet strangely satisfying. It is a fascinating material to work with. I got some steel shears, which went through it like butter. OK, I didn't do any stepped flashings or anything, but knowing what I do now, I wouldn't be scared to do this. I just wish I'd remembered to put the patination oil on all the flashings, without forgetting one...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle