Another Party Wall question!

My neighbour wants to draw up our own agreement with photos etc to avoid the expense of a surveyor, for when he build his loft conversion. Is this a good idea? What would i be gaining by using a surveyor? Isnt it just about being able to identify any damage caused so my neighbour can put it right? Thanks for your comments.

Reply to
tecstar

Why should you agree? Would you not want to involve a professional at his expense to make sure that it is done properly and with an insurance company behind him. If you prepare your own agreement you may get it right but why take the chance.

Reply to
hzatph

Part of the Party Wall Award that the surveyor will specify should include, exact plans of the work and schedule of the work as well as a detailed analysis of the state of the party structure.

Using the party wall act properly should prevent arguments and bad-feeling between neighbours as disagreements are settled by the surveyor.

From personal experience I would not allow any work to go ahead without the notice being properly served and a survey carried out. This protects both of you and your neighbour must foot the bill.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Summers

As concluded in a previous thread, the party wall agreement is just about getting the work done. It says nothing about the quality of the work, and building control should be checking that. The party wall act only requires a surveyor if agreement cannot be reached. But the agreement you both sign will say that you will put right any damage to the standard of the surrounding work at no expense to the neighbour. What would happen if the neighbour claimed you had damaged something that was already like that ? Thus some record of present state would be a good idea. What is better ? Some words on a piece of paper from a surveyor, or photos dated and signed by you and your neighbour ? Or both ? That is the question - for you ! A surveyor wouldn't be able to validate the building plans without employing a structural engineer, which presumably building control would have wanted anyway. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

How detailed an analysis would you expect ? Would he come back once plaster is removed to inspect the brickwork ? What plans would he provide that are not already done for building control, if the work is being done on full plans ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I would expect (but I could be wrong) noting and extent of e.g cracks in the structure. If they become worse after the work has been done it maybe for the surveyor to arbitrate on how much each neighbour should pay for the remedy. It should be noted that if damage does occur to an already damged strcuture then both parties may have to contribute to the repair.

I would hope so if it's considered important.

AFAIK, and it is very easy to find this on the ODPM website, the full plans should be provided along with a schedule of works.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Summers

You have the work checked by an independant expert who will look after your interests.

It should make sure that the work is designed properly and carried out according to the plans. If and when you come to sell the property it will be mcuh easier to sell if can produce all the PWA paperwork

There is no downside from your point of view other than you neighbour may not be happy because he has to pay.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland