Another Grand Design goes plonk.

Clerestory...That's a word I've not heard before ..lol

Stuart

It was a pair of threshing doors - designed so that there is a through draft through two doors either side of the width of the building. The height is another matter.

Reply to
John Cartmell

snip

Friday?

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Perhaps I shouldn't ....I can live perfectly happily without religion ,thanks very much .lol.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

In message , Stuart writes

It was pronounced *clear story* which I found amusing.

In general, all this type of program suffer from hype where the director attempts to introduce some drama into an otherwise documentary scene. Time team digs running out of time etc.

I would have been very interested to hear the Architects freely expressed views:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

And die too. But then?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Stuart wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

railway catalogue of 1960-something! There were several passenger coaches which had a raised part of the roof with a shallow glazed area between it and the rest if the carriage roof. On re-reading, that makes little sense, so have a look at:

For some reason, I simply couldn't spell the word in my post - I wanted to type clerestorey - which seems to be a possible, though much less used, alternative. Had to google to check out which was right.

I saw the builder holding a single sheet of glass - so whilst there could be two layers with a gap, it is not a sealed unit system. Somehow, I don't think that it is double-glazed.

Reply to
Rod

But: you've already admitted to ignorance of 'clerestory' .... you'll have to admit to not knowing about many other things too. BTW, Monasteries, Cathedrals, Churches are perhaps amongst the greatest of D-I-Y buildings extant .... particularly those edifices with clerestory windows ... which illuminate but don't distract : all AMDG. :)

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Buildings I can take ...Been in many ....but religion itself .No ta ...:-)

AMDG .???

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

More evidence of your need to get out more .... and/or learn to google!

Brian Sharrock

Stuart

Very quaint! Meanwhile, across the pond...:

All that aluminum siding though, not quite so characterful...

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

You've already demon-strated your attitude to remaining in ignorance .... :) but how can you expect anybody who's vocabulary is so restricted and doesn't know how to - or is too idle to - use a dictionary and/or a search engine to be taken seriously when he espouses extremist positions.

... hmm, must investigate the nuLabour glorious Leader's recently conferred powers concerning banging-up those uttering hate crimes - on the internet - citing a URL as 'More religious claptrap' ... must incite some people!

BTW; AIUI, cells tend to have clerestory windows .... .

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Exactly.

Thats what I found. The disciplines of running a project were the same. My background as far as project management is in engineering project management.

My project managers background was in lying cheating, and a failed investment banker.

HOWEVER I would say that understanding what the trades do, is key to understanding and identifying tradesmen who are actually reliable and effuicient.

Once I realised that my brickie was not laying bricks as fast as I could...but the carpeneters were putting up studwork three times as fast as I could, and better..

..once upon a time, I sat down at a carousel and spent two days stuffing my design of boards with components..and was thereby able to give the production manager a 'fair' time of manufacture for them. About three times faster than he claimed his staff could actually make them.

Hands on is a simple way to check the quality of those doing the job.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher