Another Grand Design goes plonk.

I had to switch off 20 minutes into the programme as the costs started to spiral out of control.

Anyone watching it without getting hot under the collar?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

yes. see my previous post: usual format of will they wont they oh, look, they have and it's magnificent.

Reply to
.

Sure. Makes me realise how dumb you can be and still make a living as a "designer". Oh, the building's on a slope - didn't think of that! Doh.

Reply to
rrh

what have you ever designed ? how much juice do you have ?

enough to buy, design and complete a project like that ?

didn't think so. fair play to them.

Reply to
.

The Times reviewer described the woman as having "limited people skills". I was quite disappointed that no-one stormed off site in a big huff. It's so much more fun when things go *really* wrong.

Their budget came in about £20k below what the original builder estimated for, which is rather better than many professionals would achieve, especially considering they were paying daywork rates.

But I didn't like either the building or the people.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You obviously didn't watch the programme or were not paying attention.

They dismissed the architect after initial help with plans then wasted money hand over fist.

They started out without knowing if the barn had a foundation, then after all the expense of underpinning they cocked up the floor level AFTER clling in the architect again.

How on earth did they manage that?

Fancy fecking around with the damn thing ALL that time and not knowing it had no foundations?

Weatherlawyer

you either switched off after 20 mins or you're a liar.

no they didn't. they paid for the drawings and decided to manage the job themselves. that the job was going to over run financially was a given. it's grand designs, that's what the prog is about.

by not having a full structural survey done. and by *DIY*'ing. I'll wager that you know bugger all about DIY and I don't think you've ever done any DIY beyond painting a wall.

they finished the job and have ended up with /thier/ dream home in a _great_ location. most importantly /they/ are happy even if you are not.

you're a /liar/.

Reply to
.

If these people ever bothered to watch the series, which has been running for years now, they'd soon discover trying to do it all without a project manager and architect will only lead to the worst possible outcome...being publicly humiliated on national TV with know it all patronising remarks from Kevin McCleod.

Reply to
RedOnRed

I can but agree. Having someone shouting at you from ground level when you are trying to assemble roof trusses at roof level is not my idea of communication! I would always look forward to Grand Designs but the first two of this series have been lacking. Design or style is very much in the eye of the beholder and will always be subjective but I have seen nothing that is a Grand Design!

PhilC

Reply to
PhilC

But I have watched the new series alongside the bits of the last series that I missed. I wonder how much business that Finnish company got after the 'log cabin' programme?

Reply to
John Cartmell

I didnt see the end of the project but what I don't understand is why the local planners are so restrictive about the windows .They allow them to put two huge glass doors or windows where the sliding doors were but refuse them to insert any other windows where they would be of most benefit ....Was the building listed in any way ...presumably not if they allowed the big glass .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

What are you talking about?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Listed or not I believe the terminology used is 'Will not allow further openings'

PhilC

Reply to
PhilC

Not sure which log cabin you refer to but have met the people that built the timber house in Kent. They now represent that company in the UK and have had many enquiries and at least three orders. They also made the comment that it's the producer that scripts many of Kevin's remarks to make 'good tv'

PhilC

Reply to
PhilC

Actually in my case, the best thing was sacking the project manager.

Once I realised he knew less about building than I did.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, it all started with a man called John Logi Baird ...

Reply to
PeTe33
[Snip]

Having watched 5 or 6 of the programmes in the last week I've lost track of which was where! The one in question was built by a furniture maker & wife who ran a riding school. They had brought up their three kids in a corner of his workshop!!?

Reply to
John Cartmell

snipped ....

This one .

if you want to ask Kevin McCloud anything he is here on the 19th.April

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

erlund house

from £57k + land

I want one.

Reply to
.

Nah. He was the prat that tried to market something akin to a large flick-book, in a furniture cabinet.

Reply to
EricP