Analog TV fault

Ah! The proverbial: "I'm sure it's only a loose wire ..."

Reply to
Terry Casey

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Thanks.. Can you define 'a good one' for me? I've seen them on ebay for £26. I guess that means it's 'no good', yes?

AL

Reply to
AL_n

Terry Casey wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I did employ the old "pecussive intervention" i.e., sharp clout with heel of the hand, but to no avail. ;-)

Reply to
AL_n

I've got a couple here which convert composite, S-Video and RGB TV signals to VGA. Wanted a computer monitor beside the workbench which would also accept TV signals. For test purposes. Neither works what I'd call well - things like not changing from 4:3 to 16:9. Vertical lines regardless of the VGA resolution chosen. Of course it's possible there are ones around now that are better.

A better solution for me was a TV with a VGA input, and the usual SCART and S-Video. That works adequately as a computer monitor as well as a TV or TV standard monitor.

I'll do you a deal on one of them if you wish. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would say the problem is the DVD player, you can get cheap DVD players that will drive pc monitors. If you have a monitor look for a new DVD player that up scales and with the output you want, hdmi is more common than vga these days, dvi is a subset of hdmi BTW.

Reply to
dennis

The problem arises with SCART and S-Video connections. They are strictly (or should be) TV resolutions.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I know, but the dvd player doesn't have to produce TV resolutions. None of my DVD players produce only TV resolutions and none of them drive what you would call TV even though one is a sammy, all its used inputs are hdmi and no TV resolutions are used.

Reply to
dennis