Alternatives to halogen capsule bulbs?

Hi there uk.d-i-y,

We have a couple of IKEA lights that use 12V, 10W/20W halogen capsule bulbs. They're really great lights, but the halogen bulbs have pretty short lifetimes. I was idly wondering if there are any alternatives - I was think specifically of LEDs - even for a significant drop in light output?

Cheers - Adam...

Reply to
Adam-the-Kiwi

Massive light drop unless you buy luxeon type led lamps = not cheap. Just go to an electrical wholsalers and buy quality lamps (dont go in asking for bulbs, you will stick out like a sore thumb !!!)

Reply to
Tim Morley

Bulb is the correct term for the glass capsule with the filament, as many (most) halogens take. Lamp is the term used when there is further harware around the bulb, ie reflectors and associated gubbins. Of course you probably know that.

Reply to
visionset

IME, electrical wholesalers are very expensive for these. I buy them in bulk from CPC, e.g.

are not too bad either, if you need one in a hurry and you have a Maplin shop nearby.

"Bulb" refers the outer envelope of a lamp, usually bulb-shaped (as in something you plant in the flowerbed). For lamps which have nothing much else to them, they can be called bulbs. Torch lamps are always called bulbs too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel