Aerial amp & 4 way splitter

A friend wants an ae amp & splitter or a lfot box, he does like cheap but it needs to keep working ok. Where's good to look at the moment?

thanks, NT

Reply to
meow2222

Never had a duff one and I've only ever bought at car boots & garage sales and not always branded. They seem pretty long lasting things.

Argos or ebay?

Reply to
Scott M

i got a labegear I think.

worked flawlessly > 10 years

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You have a TV amp that can block soap operas and the Jeremy Kyle show?

Reply to
ARW

No. I have a brain that does that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I normally get Proception or labgear kit from CPC...

Reply to
John Rumm

Do you really mean an aerial amplifier - or just a distribution amp that splits the aerial into several outputs with no loss?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

most dist amps have a small amount of gain 3-6dB

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They do, but not really enough for where a aerial amplifier is actually needed.

It makes it easier to give an accurate answer if you understand what the question means. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It'll need some gain. He's getting a used philex 6 way amp/distribution thing he's been offered at a very good price, hopefully it'll do the trick. 9dB gain per output.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In article , snipped-for-privacy@care2.com scribeth thus

As maybe but I'm sure as Bill Wright will tell you gain where the aerial receives the wanted signal is the gain that really matters.

Distribution amps are just that, amps to overcome the splitting losses and the cable loss from the amp to each outlet.....

Reply to
tony sayer

I've used PROception STARbox which nowadays you can probably get from toolstation ... yep looks like it

Andy Burns

Sure. They do really help though, in practice they have better noise figure than most tvs. I presume the same applies with digital STBs built down to a price.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

He's paid about a tenth that :) Hopefully it'll do the job.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Be that as it may but you don't improve the original signal to noise ratio with amplification.

Do modern TV's specify such parameters?....

Reply to
tony sayer

When the amp has a better noise figure, you do. An amplified signal plus the same tv front end noise gets a higher s/n.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Your rather missing my point the S/N ratio is set by the level of incoming signal the aerial can "generate". If thats not too good amplification won't improve that as all your doing is amplifying signal plus noise.

What amplification can do is to counteract splitting or division loss or cable loss...

Reply to
tony sayer

However, if the amplifier has a lower noise factor than the front end of the receiver, there is a remarkable improvement in picture quality. Been there, seen it hundreds of times, got the T-shirt, etc.

Reply to
charles

But going back to the question, you'd normally site such an amp as close as possible to the aerial. Unlike a DA which would usually go in a more convenient location.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It was certainly the case years ago - but I suspect most decent TVs have now got front ends pretty well as good as they get.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)