Advice on gurgling sink...

In our kitchen, when ever the washing machine or dishwasher pump out there is an annoying gurgling from the sink. It's never been annoying enough to make we look at it till now :)

Since getting a new washing machine which obviously pumps out quicker than the ancient totally knackered hotpoint that it replaces occasionally (and I can't reproduce this when I try!) it will pump over the standpipe slightly and start to flood the kitchen...

Just dismantled the bits I can get to and while they were a bit sludgy it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected so I'm assuming there is a partial blockage somewhere down stream. It's had a load of Mr Muscle gloop and a couple of hours ago I poured two buckets of nice hot caustic soda down the sink and let it strew. Much gurgling but no difference :-(

A diagram of what we have at the moment is on

for the total lack of artistic talent :-)). I know the pipework is clear to the T where the sink connects. Beyond that is my problem

immediately after this T the pipe goes through the wall, turns 90 degrees and disappears into the foundations of the conservatory - this 90 corner is inaccessable (The T piece is pretty difficult and I'm concerned that if I undo it I'll never get it watertight again). The corner that is outside is also in a position that is impossible to get to due to it being squeezed inbetween out convervatory and nextdoors wall. Even if I could get to it it is solvent welded with no spare pipe before it vanishes into the concrete to allow me to cut it off and replace :-(

Given that chemical warfare appears to have had no impact at all I'm pondering my next move. Are those drain cleaner things that you wind down the plug hole likely to be any good? Will they go around a 90 degree corner without problem?

If not, any ideas what might? Curtain wire springs to mind as a possibility

Also, once I sort this I'm tempted to stick an antivac trap on the sink to stop the gurgling once and for all. Good idea or asking for more hassle?

Gah. I hate plumbing

Cheers,

Darren

Reply to
dmc

The message from snipped-for-privacy@ukc.ac.uk (dmc) contains these words:

An air admittance valve would certainly cure the symptoms.

You could throttle the dishwasher by squashing the hose a bit.

Reply to
Guy King

East fix this one, change the trap on the sink to one with an AAV built in. (AAV= air admitance valve). What is happening is the the water in the sink trap is bubbling to let air thru when the dishwasher / wasning maching is empyting out.

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

Darren I concur with the previous posts that an air admitance valve would solve all your problems. Calum Sabey (NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544)

Reply to
calums

Are they pumping directly into the soil/waste water pipe? Or are they pumping into a traditional drain, outside the back of the kitchen? If the latter, check that it's nice and clean: dig it out and give it a good flush through.

Whenever out kitchen sink gurgles, I (*now*) know that it's because the outside drain is bunged with leaves or moss, and water is being pumped into it faster than it can run away.

The most satisfying DIY job, and the only one I actually like doing!

John

Reply to
John

Answering my own question (I decided to read the rest of your message!) it does not seem to be the latter.

One of the most useful DIY tools I have is a snaky spring-like 'thing' which is about 1/4 inch in diameter and about 4 feet long (only). You can get 'em at the Pound Shops, or similar. Works wonders for jobs like this, *if* your pipe is no longer than about 3'10".

Cheers john

Reply to
John

Heh :)

I've actually no idea where it drains to (which is a little worrying). The manhole out the front of the house isn't the one so it must head out back somewhere - no obvious drains though. I'll have to quiz neighbours to see if they have any ideas.

Well, I'm not sure what is in the concrete under the conservatory (well, appart from the pipe!) so I don't know how long I would need. I noticed last night that Wickes seem to have a 4ft long spring thing and a 8 ft long one. I reckon that might be worth a go...assuming I can get it around 2

90deg corners and still be ables to "wiggle" it :)

Cheers,

Darren

Reply to
dmc

sounds optimistic to me. I'd go with the easy answer and squash the drain hose slightly - yes its a bit of a bodge but the alternative is a silly amount of work, and a bit of restriction will probably work fine.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Ok, wickes sell antivac gadgets to fit in line with the current pipework.

I think I'll have a poke around in an attempt to clear the pipe a bit more, fit an antivac thing to shut it up a bit and squash the pipe from the washing machine and dishwasher as well.

I dont want to just restrict the flow as I'm sure the pipe in the concrete is bunging up slowly and I'd rather attempt to sort it now than find it complete blocked in a years time :-/

Darren

Reply to
dmc